dcsimg The Get Rich Slowly Forums • View topic - Taking the Plunge...

GRS Home  Forum Home
Bank Rates Center
   Savings Account Rates
   Money Market Rates
   Highest CD Rates
Insurance Rates Center
  Auto           Health
   Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:23 am

Post subject: Taking the Plunge...
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:22 pm 

So I've decided to start a fiscal journal of my own, but it's going to be a little different. Since I check this site every day (almost!), I might as well track my spending here.

This will be a different kind of spending because...I want to track how much I spend on dating. HA!!HA!! I didn't want to start a blog (log) on my own, because it's an extra step, and since I have GRS Forums, I'll just do it here.

Last Sunday I went out to a local bar/restaurant to meet a guy. I did get my eyebrows done because I didn't want to look like a furry monster. I got to the bar, the guy sent me a text saying he was intimidated when he saw me and left. Of course, this was after I was seated and had ordered one beer (What.a.jerk.)

Eyebrows- $15
Beer-$5
Total Cost: $20

Last edited by peachy on Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject: Re: Taking the Plunge...
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:37 pm 

peachy wrote:
I got to the bar, the guy sent me a text saying he was intimidated when he saw me and left.

Certainly not the guy for you, but look at the bright side... you were sitting there looking so good and confident that this guy saw you and immediately realized you were way out of his league.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:49 pm 

Sooo glad I'm married....

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:23 am 

Thanks for your comments. I'm not looking for ego boosts or commentary on how it sucks to be single. I'm just tracking my spending.

I figured it was a new twist on a Fiscal Fitness Journal, and might be interesting to see how much I end up spending on this small segment of my life.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:03 am 

How about going on "cheap" dates? Working out or a hike at your local trail? If you have a bike you can do some trails together as well.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:30 am 

Personally I wouldn't want a secluded hiking trail be the first date with a practical stranger. a beer or hot drink at a bar or coffeehouse where there are lots of people around sounds better to me.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:36 am 

Last night-A hip, little Mexican restaurant was the meet up location.
What a perfect gentleman.
Chimichanga w/side of guacamole
Chicken Burrito
4 Margaritas
Total Cost:$0

2 creme brulees at a new restaurant around the corner
1 coffee
Total Cost: $16 something plus tax, so I paid $20

Note to self: Be better about keeping cash receipts. As we were going into the second restaurant he mentioned 'I'll pay. I have money.' I took a mental note and said 'You paid for dinner. I got it, and I have cash.' It was a cash only place. hee hee.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:04 pm 

Yay, I have an update. :)
I guess I'm on a Mexican kick, although last night my date and I went to a crab place on the water.

2 Margaritas
Crab guacamole (interesting, but tasty)
Jamaican jerk chicken skewers (so good!)
Parking $18 (I had it validated, but chose to go to a comedy show, and I left my car in the lot because parking in the city can be tricky/difficult.
Total for me-$18

Comedy show-$44 + all you can drink
Parking-$4
Tip-$5
Total for me -$9

Oh, and I bought a cropped cardigan because it was supposed to be chilly later on in the night and I wanted to wear a sundress. That cost me $18, and I can wear it a lot this summer.

So my overall total for a great night was $45 + a cute sweater.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 5:52 pm 

This is an unfortunate update.
The plan was to go to a Mexican restaurant in a medium sized town nearby instead of going into the city. I got into the town, and all the arteries in and out were packed. I am not a big fan of crowds anymore. I called my date and said 'Parking is horrendous. Let's go to another place.' He said 'I'm at the doctor's, I'll call you right back.' Um...this was 3 minutes before we were supposed to meet. He called me back and I told him I'd be at a bar/restaurant closer to my house.

I drank my two Cinco de Mayo margaritas and ate nachos.

Long story short, he left me a message (I haven't listened to it yet), and never showed up. Luckily, I wasn't that enamored with this dude. The end.

Total spent: $20.42 + wasted makeup application. HA!!HA!! (Ugh!)

PS-For Fantasma, I'm thinking a walk in a park in heels and fabulous oufit by myself is starting to sound pretty good. ;)

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 5:59 pm 

At least listen to the message & give him the benefit of the doubt. It might have been a medical emergency.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 2:54 am 

Tightwad wrote:
At least listen to the message & give him the benefit of the doubt. It might have been a medical emergency.

Yeah, "at the doctor's" (presumably in the evening) sounds like a pretty random excuse if he was just bailing.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 1:18 pm 

When I talked to him he said that he did pull a tendon in his arm (or something like that) and had to go to Patientcare or Patient first (an emergency clinic), but he was fine enough to drive and pick up the phone, so he should've been fine enough to call me ahead of time and cancel or let me know he would be running late.

I'm too old and too seasoned to give benefits of the doubt. I gave him the benefit of the doubt by showing up. Apparently that's better than some people do (see first post)! He did mention rescheduling, but I'm over it already. I like a) honest and b)reliable. If you can't meet that criteria, keep it movin'.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 5:17 pm 

This is not a dating update, but a birthday week update!

I went to lunch with coworkers on Tuesday (free!). Thursday afternoon my boss made a cake for me and I went to dinner at a really nice restaurant in Baltimore on Thursday night (two words: wine pairings). Two of my friends split my bill when I didn't expect that at all. I honestly just wanted everyone to have a nice time (free bonus!). Friday morning I had birthday breakfast with two different coworkers (free!). Last night I went to the Orioles baseball game and bought a group package so that I could get awesome seats. Everyone reimbursed me (my cost-$35). The cameraman filmed me on the big screen cheering for about a minute or so and one of my friends paid to have my name on the birthday wishes list, also on the big screen. We sang karaoke after the game and all my beers were free. Today I took my motorcycle to the shop (I filled up with gas last week, so no money spent) and the friend that picked me up treated me to lunch.

Having awesome friends and coworkers celebrate with you all week: priceless.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 6:39 pm 

Here here! Happy Birthday! :D :D :D

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 9:42 pm 

Glad you had a great day! Happy Birthday!

Offline Profile   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill, Fiscal Fitness Moderator Go to page 1, 2  Next