dcsimg The Get Rich Slowly Forums • View topic - Helping my kids get rich slowly

GRS Home  Forum Home
Bank Rates Center
   Savings Account Rates
   Money Market Rates
   Highest CD Rates
Insurance Rates Center
  Auto           Health
   Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:39 am

Post subject: Re: Helping my kids get rich slowly
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:08 pm 

Panda wrote:
My parents never matched my casual savings when I was a kid (because I was pretty naturally inclined to save, so they joked they couldn't afford it), but I'll offer this up as an idea for when they're older. When I got my first "real" job (for me was after my freshman year of college as a waitress), my Dad gifted me my IRA contribution. I had to earn the income, which I used to pay expenses during the school year, but they made the IRA contribution. This lasted for the 3 summers I worked in college.

I'll always credit it for making a HUGE difference in how I viewed saving for retirement, etc.

Sounds like it worked.

On an unrelated note, all this reminds me a bit of how my parents tried to motivate me to come home for visits when I was in college. They promised to fill up my gas tank any time I drove home to visit. They kept to their word until I started dating my wife consistently and showing up pretty much every weekend (she lived near them). At that point they decided I wasn't really coming to see them, and they invited me to pay for my own gas, which I happily did.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:12 pm 

Mr. Mordecai wrote:
On an unrelated note, all this reminds me a bit of how my parents tried to motivate me to come home for visits when I was in college. They promised to fill up my gas tank any time I drove home to visit. They kept to their word until I started dating my wife consistently and showing up pretty much every weekend (she lived near them). At that point they decided I wasn't really coming to see them, and they invited me to pay for my own gas, which I happily did.

That's a nice scam until they caught on, huh? Wish I woulda thought of that. :D

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:35 pm 

We've been starting to think seriously about allowances. I've been poking around and it seems like there are quite a few things to consider. Here's my list of things to think about so far:

• When to start
  • How much will they get
  • What are they expected to use it for
  • How much freedom do they get in using it
  • How often do they get paid
  • Is it tied to chores/behavior or not

Any others I've missed?

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:20 pm 

Little Red Chief went with me to the bank last week and we opened his savings account. He did a great job waiting while they worked through the paperwork, etc. He then happily walked over to the tellers and made his first deposit: $0.37.

Offline Profile E-mail   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill, Fiscal Fitness Moderator Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3