dcsimg The Get Rich Slowly Forums • View topic - Holding Fiddlefaddle Accountable!

GRS Home  Forum Home
Bank Rates Center
   Savings Account Rates
   Money Market Rates
   Highest CD Rates
Insurance Rates Center
  Auto           Health
   Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:23 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Holding Fiddlefaddle Accountable!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:49 am 

20 months? Wow, Bichon! I agree that so far the money is accumulating faster than I expected. $500k by 2017 no longer feels like a stretch goal (depending on the markets).

Good point about our net worth at any given moment being somewhat out of our control. I think in my mind, I'm assuming that the market will drop and then be back up by 2017, but of course, who knows!?

In other news, the stars aligned and I got a tax refund, work reimbursements, credit card cash back, etc all at once. So:

Emergency fund progress-
Balance: $20,000/$20,000
Percent Complete: 100%

Yippee! Next goal is to pay off the car loan, but first I'm taking a break to take care of some home maintenance that needs to be done. I also need to set aside some money for summer and fall tuition. Hopefully I'll be done with all that by June.

I'm also increasing my Roth contribution and the 529 savings for DD now that we have our emergency fund. It'll be fun to watch those funds start growing faster. :)

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:28 am 

Had to put our little dog to sleep this week so I haven't really focused on money or anything else but that. ;(

I forgot about summer camps for DD, so all my extra money this paycheck went for those. Have a few more things to sign up for and then she should be all set for the summer.

I have a list of home maintenance projects that I want/need to do before we focus on paying off DH's car. Also need to save up for tuition. I feel like I'm drifting a little bit without a definite goal and plan. May estimate how much I need for everything and have a mini-goal to work on.

On a bright note, my goals for the year are looking great...just one left to work on!

2013 Financial Goals:
1) Finish e-fund ---- DONE
2) Increase Roth IRA contribution --- DONE ($458/month)
3) Increase 529 college contribution to $200/month --- DONE
4) Put any pay increases into 403b --- DONE
5) Set up Roth IRA for husband using extra $300/month saved by mortgage refinance --- DONE
6) Start pre-paying car loan...get balance below $10k by end of 2013

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:12 am 

Sorry to hear about your pup -- that is an incredibly difficult and painful decision. I just went through the same thing ten months ago with my sweet girl. So hard to say goodbye, but you did the right thing. Hugs to you.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:23 am 

I'm so sorry to hear about your little dog. It must be agonizing, but I'm sure you gave him a good life and did the right thing for him. Hugs from me and my two kits.

Also, way to go on your financial goals! We haven't even finished the first quarter and you've already accomplished so much!

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:39 am 

I haven't been around much. Working through my list of wants/needs for the house and saving up for tuition. Hopefully I'll be done with all that by around June and can start throwing all my extra money at the car loan!

I'm just dying to buy new clothes this spring. Ugh...I think it's because I didn't really buy many clothes at all the past couple of years. The little devil on my shoulder says that I'm getting more responsibility at work and meeting with people higher up the ladder than me and I need to look professional. There's some truth to that, but I don't want to go overboard. I think I'll allow myself a few new items to satisfy the obsession and then I should be happy with my work wardrobe for spring/summer. Maybe it's better to buy a few things along rather than build up to this point and then want to buy everything I see!?

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 4:35 am 

I went a little crazy the past couple of weeks. New shoes, new clothes, new bathing suits... :shock: Plus, hotel reservations in Yellowstone for 2014 - I thought Disney World was expensive! But it's all out of my system now and paid for, so I have three more goals before I start paying down the car loan:

--have some work done to our deck and porch
--get the piano tuned
--save for fall tuition

And it sure does feel good to have some shoes for work that aren't falling apart! :)

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 8:47 am 

Yellowstone is totally on my list of places to visit! That sounds so nice. I never thought it would be more expensive than Disney though.

See my journal for how hard it's been for me to buy new clothes, but isn't it a great feeling to know you have a very important meeting that requires looking your best - and knowing you actually have the perfect outfit in your closet to make the right impression?

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:00 pm 

Mid-point 2013 balance sheet

Assets: (previous amount in parenthesis --> followed by current amount)
Cash (checking accounts and sinking funds): $10,615 --> $10,589
Emergency Fund: $13,465 --> $20,049
Daughter Savings: $4,624 --> $4,786
Daugher Stock: $1,532 --> $1,630
Husband 401k: $88,959 --> $104,148
Me 403b: $11,606 --> $16,221
Me IRA's: $33,639 --> $38,261
Daughter 529: $13,038 --> $14,523
Home: $455,000 --> $455,000
Car 1: $30,500 --> $25,555
Car 2: $15,000 --> $13,767

Total Assets: $677,978 --> $706,878

Debts:
Car Loan (boo!): $19,305 --> $17,454
Credit Cards: $826 --> $412
Mortgage: $307,749 --> $304,837

Total Debts: $327,880 --> $322,703

NET WORTH: $350,098 --> $384,175

Current Goal: Pay off car loan

Stretch Goal: $500,000 net worth by age 40 (March 2017)
To reach goal, net worth must increase this much each month (on average): $2,574

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:04 pm 

I've not been around in a while. For one thing, I was paying for summer camps and some projects around the house and I haven't been as focused on finances as I like to be. But starting with my paycheck next week, all extra money will go to paying off the car loan. Feels good to have a definite goal to work on again!

I think I may be getting a promotion at work. I was asked to take on a new role but don't know the HR details yet. Should know something in the next month. I won't accept any less than a 10% raise because it will be a lot more pressure.

Updated our balance sheet for the midpoint of the year and things are going well. We could possibly hit $400k net worth by the end of the year, but only if things go very well with us and the markets! :)

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:34 am 

fiddlefaddle wrote:
I think I may be getting a promotion at work. I was asked to take on a new role but don't know the HR details yet. Should know something in the next month. I won't accept any less than a 10% raise because it will be a lot more pressure.

Bet that new suit made quite an impression! :) Fingers crossed...

CecilyC

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:23 am 

Thanks Cecily! I'll finish up grad school next May, so now may not be the best time to take on more responsibility at work, but if the right opportunity presents itself, I'll take it.

Finally back to having a concrete goal we're working on - paying off the car loan for DH's car. I still wish I could have convinced him to save up for it first, but oh well.

Here we go! The goal is to get the loan below $10k by the end of the year. The starting amount was $20,220.

Current Balance: $16,695
Percent Paid: 17%

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:03 am 

Ok, just when I thought I could pay down the car loan, another bump in the road. DH needs some major dental work... :tmi:

The process will be stretched over at least 4-5 months, so I have some time to save. I'm going to save up for the first part and then figure out how much I need to set aside with each paycheck to have the 2nd amount ready to go around the end of the year.

Anything extra can go to the car loan, but with my 403b, Roth, and 529 increases earlier this year, there won't be as much left over as there used to be. But that's ok...those accounts are growing very nicely!

So now I'm tracking two goals:

Car Current Balance: $16,695
Percent Paid: 17%

Dental Fund: $1,098
Goal: $6,000

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:41 pm 

Ouch, $6K is a big chunk of change.

Here's hoping you can do it without any major stress.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:13 am 

Landslave wrote:
FidFad:
You are so far ahead of the national average, good for you. There are a few who save, like most of us on these boards, and the rest of the masses up to their nostrils in debt.
I read your thread and was cheering you on. Do a curtsey, you've earned one! You are really getting there.
The car loan of $19K is a problem, though. Even if it is a low interest loan & paid off quickly.
Here is the lesson on cars: they all end up in the same place-the car crusher at the junkyard.
Here is the second lesson on cars: paying cash makes used ones even cheaper. People selling used cars give up when no one has http://www.dbuying.com/ price cash to give them. They then take the used car to a used car dealer and sell it below wholesale, or trade it in on a new one. Often you can buy a used car for wholesale from the owner, when you have cash.
I just looked on Craigslist and I found many good used cars for less than $8000. We are about to buy a Honda with 97,000 miles on it from a private seller for $4,900. Our "new" car is likely to last 40,000 miles (3-4 yrs of driving) and still be Able to sell it for $2,000.....which possibly is less net cost to own than the instant depreciation of a new car the day an owner drives it off the lot. People treat cars like assets, but assets create wealth, cars never make money for the owner and should be treated like the liability (drag on wealth building) that they are. Anyone driving off the new car lot has a smile on his face, but he should be crying, in my opinion.
I have made a game out of car ownership. I try to get the greatest miles driven per dollar paid to own. My best car was a used 1987 Plymouth Horizon I bought for $2,900 and drove it for 112,000 miles before I sold it for $400. Great car!

Thanks! Just this summer, I want to buy a car for my son.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:39 pm 

Car Current Balance: $16,312
Percent Paid: 19%

Dental Fund: $1,653/$6,000
Percent Saved: 28%

Offline Profile E-mail   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill, Fiscal Fitness Moderator Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next