Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:10 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: 30 something guy trying to deal with debt
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 2:53 pm 

Thanks for the good words Kate. I dont have much land , 10 acres, but it is producing for us. I'm about to get a side of beef, raised organically on our land, and by me I should add, from the butcher next week. Should also make some cash too - which the property will suck up instantly!

SL offically down to $5628.11 . $300 saved in new vehicle fund. Pay day tomorrow. Work has become a little easier recently. I managed to back peddle and still keep some nice allowances.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 4:03 pm 

SL:$5093.11 :rock:
New vehicle fund:$345 :$

Not much happening recently. Got some more free beef and profit from the farm. Recycling money from that into fixing the place up.

I seriously looked at refinancing my home loan because the facist bank I'm with wouldn't negotiate with me. In the end I'm leaning towards staying with the bank until the fixed term is over then going elsewhere. Whoever invented break fees should be excommunicated.

Work is fine. Boring but fine. I'm just starting a new programme which is nice so that will keep me going for the next 6 weeks, then I'll take leave. Only small extra funds are coming my way; travel allowances. This should be about $35 a week. I'm snowflaking this into my new vehicle fund and student loan.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 4:16 pm 

Sharpe, you are a debt repayment whirlwind and I love it.

You must be nearly done now right? Just a few more months?

Re: mortgage refinance - have you thought about meeting with a mortgage broker and having them run all the numbers for you? They might have some good insights.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 7:26 pm 

Just when I thought things were going well - boom - big problem at work. I haven't lost my job but the bosses have really had a good attack. Fought them off with legal help - free luckily - but man, it has really shaken my position. I'm seriously looking at other options, but I doubt there is a better job than this one. I will just have to knuckle under and go invisible for a while.

This was a nasty back stabbing incident from people I thought I trusted. Man, I'm never going to trust my so called superiors agains - new rule, never take anything up the ladder, just answer their questions and move on. I'm not the only one who has had this happen to them - a culture of bullying - I'm told it happens in all government type jobs. Doesn't make it feel any better. Had trouble sleeping last night but still came into work - hey, they wont beat me. Just like John Rambo!

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 7:48 pm 

Just paid off another $600 today via internet banking. By friday my balance will be below $5000. Also tucked away a few buks into the new vehicle fund, now at $375

Posted in my tax return today as well, so my rebate will be processed over the next 3 months and come straight off my loan, as well as the incentive money for making voluntary payments.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 4:44 pm 

Well done on getting it under $5k Sharpe.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:31 pm 

SL offically now: $3838.81

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:11 pm 

Student loan, you are so gone!

How are you going to celebrate when you are done?

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:23 pm 

chasingthegoodlife wrote:
Student loan, you are so gone!

How are you going to celebrate when you are done?

Quit my job? and work on an organic farm? Seriously I'm considering this - I hate my current office life. Especially with this fit in or go away attitude of the managers here. I'm trying to keep my options open but it is becoming increasingly hard.

With the SL almost gone though, doors open; yesterday I was offered a job on my neighbours farm. Pay is less but enough, so I'm looking at what I can do.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:11 pm 

SL:$3288.81 officially

Nothing much happened over the past few weeks. Still want to leave my job, still putting up with mismanagement. Still working to get a bit further away from debt.

A contract job I applied for turned me down again (3rd or 4th time in as many years). Oh, well. At least I tried. Feeling a bit sorry for myself at the moment.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:20 pm 

Sharpe, hang in there mate!

You are so close to achieving a major financial goal that you have worked REALLY hard for, and on top of that you have to deal with an office politics explosion (been there and done that and it SUCKS) as well as putting yourself out there to find a better job (confronting at the best of times).

My guess is that all of this is going to come together over the next few months and when it does you'll wish you'd known it was all going to work out so you could just enjoy the process. Keep the faith!

Crossing my fingers for an awesome new job for you.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:45 am 

Don't feel sorry for yourself. It's admirable that you keep applying. Sooner or later they'll realize you're the perfect candidate.

Besides, last week I learned that when a door closes, there is something better for you around the corner. You just have to wait for your door. Whatever was behind those doors wasn't meant for you. Take it easy!

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:16 am 

Very impressive accomplishment taking it down from $ 20.000 to some $ 3.000 in such a short period of time!

Are you going to keep paying off mortage when you are done with SL?

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:34 pm 

Thanks for the good words, they help.

Back at work on Monday morning and I find that I'm counting down the days until I take leave.

Some good news, I managed to pick up a $100 half day of work this coming Saturday. So that can go into my new vehicle fund.

Bad news, I have to invest in some extra security on my small farm as we've been targetted by thieves - so far minor stuff but the security consultant and the hidden camera cost $550. It's worth it if I get the culprits as I should be entitled to compensation, but also for peace of mind.

No change on the SL as of today. Maybe by the end of the week.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:08 am 

Could you live off the farm when you are debt free? I mean, "for real"? Finance a descent life, insurance, emergency fund and saving up for retirement?

Offline Profile E-mail   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill, Fiscal Fitness Moderator Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next