dcsimg The Get Rich Slowly Forums • View topic - 30 something guy trying to deal with debt

GRS Home  Forum Home
Bank Rates Center
   Savings Account Rates
   Money Market Rates
   Highest CD Rates
Insurance Rates Center
  Auto           Health
   Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:05 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: 30 something guy trying to deal with debt
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:22 pm 

In answer to your question Northern - no. I still need to earn "some" dollars to help pay the mortgage ($500 in the hand a week). But I can get those dollars from elsewhere, once I have the dang SL paid off, and I have some money - 50,000 or so, saved to pay land taxes, and an emergency fund and vehicle running fund - another 10,000 in two seperate accounts.

Freedom is coming, I can almost feel it, to be cliched. This time next year I can almost start wording my resignation letter - handwritten and one sentence will do the job.

SL update - $2803.17 , the tax department finally issued the credit from my tax return last night. So that's a nice little downward shift that was unexpected. It is happening :rofl:

Last edited by Sharpe on Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:48 am 

But if you are going to live off a skinny budget in the future, and pile up cash for that, you probably should start adjusting to that reality now? What is your living expences?

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:51 pm 

Good news - the facist head boss at my workplace has been promoted elsewhere - across the country to a different but related organisation. Bad news - it doesn't happen for 6 weeks.

I'm sure this shake up will improve things at work for me and others, although I got into a bit of office politics two days ago and lost a relationship out of it. Objectively, today when I look at it all, there are times when workplace "friendships" are incredibly superfical and not worth the energy. Having said that I dont want to be the office loner :!: . That's exactly what sets tongues wagging. I am certain that this year will be my second to last here, working for the government; end of next year I will resign and seek another job closer to home that involves things I am directly interested in - not forced to pretend to be interested in. If I have the money to save, I will. My student loan is almost done, its just the new vehicle fund that will soak up the remainder; plus of course the lump sum I need to earn interest.

Paid $205 of the SL today. The rest of my discretionary pay went into a savings account for the new vehicle purchase. I'm teeing up a no interest loan for this over the next two weeks. Taking leave, with pay, at the end of this week too. Need some R&R time away from the corporate madness.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:51 am 

Just finishing catching up on this thread. Wow! You're only about $2,500 away from being done with the SL!

And in 10 months you've paid about $17,500!

Congrats man! That is awesome!

Hope you have a great holiday! Here's some fun things to do in this thread that won't break the bank.

How big is your home? Have you considered getting a roomate to generate some extra income?

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:10 pm 

How big is your home? Have you considered getting a roomate to generate some extra income?[/quote]
Thanks for the good words. The house is medium sized but quite rural. I have thought of paying guests but I really like my privacy after being around people all day. However, when I get off the conveyer belt of salaried work it's an option.

SL:$2598.17 Still no word on the bonus repayment. Received back pay of $205 - so immeadiately banked most into new vehicle fund, now at $750. Not too bad. This will take the pressure off if I get the family loan for the new vehicle (they charge no interest but I have to pay them back in 18months or sooner - I hate taking money from relatives but needs must as the devil drives!).

I'm going on leave for two weeks (paid) - just staying on the homestead, chopping wood and chilling, so there will probably be no posts by me for a while. Hang tight everyone.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:45 pm 

SL:$2161.97

Personal loan to relations:$7250

Still on paid leave, but picked up $100 extra work this coming weekend. Will use that on the family loan. Paid last voluntary amount to SL yesterday, $575. It should all be paid off via the bonus refund and complusory payment. Now to deal with the family loan asap.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:19 pm 

SL:$1586.97 as of last friday. Yeee haaww!!! I'm really looking forward to that sucker getting down to 0.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:17 pm 

SL has stagnated but technically I have made two compulsory payments via my paychecks this month. So I have reallocated my discretionary funds and overtime to paying off my family for the second vehicle purchase (we needed the vehicle and soon I will have to drive to work on my own). That was $620 yesterday. So in all I have $6630 owing to at 0% interest to my family.

The SL bugs me; its still technically $1586 but that doesnt inckude the bonus repayment etc. They, the tax people, are still processing the write off - 5 weeks after I gave them the paperwork! Patience is the word I suppose.

E fund is tapped out - will have to increase that again and forget about it.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:24 pm 

SL:1150.77 . Still waiting for the bonus from the tax deartment to clear this away. All other monies have been poured into repaying family for second vehicle loan.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:00 pm 

Student loan offically paid off as of today!!!WOO HHOOOO!! And a $254 refund coming back to me as I actually overpaid.

Bad news:had to hire an employment lawyer to fight an unfair warning letter from my employer, predicated on baseless charges - I really hate office politics, one minute you get promotion, the next they're trying to screw you to the wall.

So every buck spare goes into my legal defence fund. Man, kharma works quick with me. Still the bright side is my lawyer thinks the whole thing is a farce and that I may have grounds for a grievence against the company.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:00 am 

What about brushing up the resume and get out of there? I would hate to have to get a lawyer for a job and still work there.

They might make things more difficult...

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:24 am 

Congrats on paying off the loan!!!!!:party: :party: :party:

Keep focused on that as you fight the unfair letter...good luck with that.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:24 pm 

Looks like I'm being forced out of my job by the boss who is leaving, a parting gift. My lawyer even thinks so too, so I may have to use my severence package to keep the cold out . I may have to look for a new job. Luckily I only have aboout $6000 owing on the new vehicle and no other debt except the mortgage which is being taken care of. I still feel shell shocked by it all though. I keep telling myself, it is time for a change, a new direction. I really didn't want to be doing this crazy job when at the age of 40 (I'm 36 now).

Still, the sun is shining today.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:16 pm 

Sharpe wrote:
Looks like I'm being forced out of my job by the boss who is leaving, a parting gift. My lawyer even thinks so too, so I may have to use my severence package to keep the cold out . I may have to look for a new job. Luckily I only have aboout $6000 owing on the new vehicle and no other debt except the mortgage which is being taken care of. I still feel shell shocked by it all though. I keep telling myself, it is time for a change, a new direction. I really didn't want to be doing this crazy job when at the age of 40 (I'm 36 now).

Still, the sun is shining today.

So were you just offered a severance package to leave? I would start looking for another job asap!

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:25 am 

Congrats on paying off your loan! Sounds like it's time to start looking for a new job.

Offline Profile E-mail   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill, Fiscal Fitness Moderator Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next