Zero Net Worth

New! Use this space to post your goals, accomplishments, and setbacks on your path to get rich slowly. Others can read about your situation, and provide critiques and motivation. Look here to find somebody who has experienced a situation similar to yours!

Moderators: lvergon, Fiscal Fitness Moderator

Daedala

Postby Daedala » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:54 am

I now have my official spending numbers for 2008 (as a percentage of after-tax budget):

Retirement 27%
CC debt 15%
Rent 16%
Food 11%
Hobbies 8%
Clothing 6%
Utilities 5%
Medical 5%
Insurance 3% (doesn't include employer-benefit insurance)
Personal Care 3%
Transportation 2%
Fitness 2%
Gifts 2%
Household 2%

All of those percentages are pretty good, but my income has become high enough that several of the absolute amounts were kind of silly for a single person. Since I was clearly saving enough, I won't let myself feel bad about it -- saving 42% of after-tax income is pretty fantastic (I count paying off credit card balances in with the savings). But this year I am going to budget and spend more mindfully, so I can save up for that down payment while still investing enough in my retirement.

When I find out how the medical stuff will work (still kind of up in the air, due to stupid slow underwriting), I will know what I can actually save, besides retirement.

peachy

Postby peachy » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:11 am

That's a great summary.
This year I plan on spending more mindfully as well. I'm also like you in that I have one year of budgeting under my belt. This weekend I plan to sort through it and figure out how much I spent on everything. It's going to be eye-opening. Not in a bad way, just in a way that I've never seen it before. I always save first, then pay bills, and if I have leftover money, it goes wherever I want. That's not very good considering I could be saving for *shrug* something. :roll:

Daedala

Postby Daedala » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:59 am

peachy wrote:That's a great summary.
This year I plan on spending more mindfully as well. I'm also like you in that I have one year of budgeting under my belt. This weekend I plan to sort through it and figure out how much I spent on everything. It's going to be eye-opening. Not in a bad way, just in a way that I've never seen it before. I always save first, then pay bills, and if I have leftover money, it goes wherever I want. That's not very good considering I could be saving for *shrug* something. :roll:

Right! Though I wasn't really budgeting, just tracking expenses really well.

My *shrug* something fund is the house down payment fund. In ING, it is named "Pony." :)

One advantage of saving before budgeting is that the "savings" numbers I have really take the sting out of the "stupid expenses" numbers I have.

peachy

Postby peachy » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:18 am

HA!!HA!! I like Pony.

I posted in the other thread about going to Superbowl, so I guess that's why I'm saving. I would also like to go to Brazil though, but I would like to have a mate to tag along. We'll see where that goes.

I hear ya on the stupid expense sting. That also made me laugh, but I think it's definitely justified if your savings comes first.

Guess I should stop procrastinating. Later.

Return to “Fiscal Fitness Journals”