Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:27 pm

Post subject: No New Clothing for a Year
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:53 am 

Hello, I'm new here. I used to belong to the Simple Living Network and I'm glad I found this place where people can support each other in their journey to financial peace.

More specifically, I'm here because I added up how much money I spent on clothing during the past 12 months and was shocked. I'm not going to post the number--suffice to say, that I literally feel sick about it.

This didn't "just happen." I've always either overspent or spent lavishly on clothing--but during the past year it was triple what it usually is. Triple. It was already too much, and this year it was triple too much.

Lots of reasons are involved, obviously. A big part of it is that my appearance has aged dramatically. Despite excellent health habits, aging happens, and it's been hard to accept.

I am making a commitment to not buying any more clothes for a year. I really don't need anything more than what I have. Buying more will not make me look younger. I need to spend more time building the INNER glow, not the OUTER glitter. Go shopping or go to a dance class? Attend a sample sale or help out at my church's soup kitchen? Can't do it all, I know where the choice should be.

Thank you for reading this.

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject: Re: No New Clothing for a Year
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:08 am 

Where do you end up doing your shopping? Online, or in person? Any plans for how to avoid temptation?

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:23 am 

Good luck -- this is something I've struggled with too, especially when I'm stressed. I recently had the luck to find a good secondhand store, which is both a positive and a negative: I spend less than I would on retail, but I buy more than I used to.

Wysteria asks a good question. If you can identify the pattern, that's a big step in helping change it. Not just where, but also why. Is this "I deserve it" syndrome? Or retail therapy? Or did you get a new job (in which case a change of wardrobe might be perfectly understandable).

Maybe try giving yourself a budget for clothing? Whatever you spent last year, you could reduce it by half (or whatever you feel is more reasonable), then divide the new number by your number of paychecks. This way you would get to spend some, but it's more under control...

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:47 am 

I'm not sure my experience is applicable to clothing, because I know styles change and all, but...

I was a big purchaser of media - books, music, movies, video games. I wasn't doing a good job of actually consuming them though. I went into 2011 with stacks of unread books and movies and games still in shrink wrap.

I made a concious decision to not purchase any new media until I had enjoyed what I already had. I spent 2011 reading, gaming, and spending movie nights in with the girlfriend just like before, but I was just consuming things I already purchased.

It wasn't until a few weeks ago that I even realized that I hadn't been spending on media. On top of that, there's no sense of guilt when I walk by the bookcase or sit down in my media room and see all sorts of stuff that I purchased and didn't use.

Maybe that works for clothing? If you spent a significant amount this year you should have a lot of nice things to enjoy next year? I understand it doesn't fulfill the aquisition implulse, but for me it was a worthwhile sacrifice to not feel that guilt of not actually using what I aquired.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:17 am 

Interesting goal, I hope you keep up with this journal and let us know how you do. As a clothes horse myself (where did that strange term come from) this is something I struggle with as well. Luckily we live in a 1920s historic home with small closets so I'm somewhat restricted on what I can actually buy. But this year I did a major closet purge, took everything out, tried everything on, and I mean everything, and got rid of stuff from high school and college (which I am many years away from) and a ton of other stuff, 3 huge bags of clothes and a bag of purses and shoes. Which means I've got room in my closet and that means I've been filling it back up.

http://adventures-of-sam.blogspot.com
(Follow Sam's financial and real estate adventures.)

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:37 am 

I like this idea, even though I won't be doing that. Keep us posted, please. Very interesting.

I did this out of necessity, but I no longer have to hold back and I have a roommy walk-in closet to fill :tmi: ;) . (I won't)

Offline Profile   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill, Fiscal Fitness Moderator