Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:17 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 455 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: fantasma's financial journey
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:24 am 

Ok update:

I went on the interview, found out through the grape vine there are 8 applicants total.

I bought a nused car: I know.....now I start attacking the payment.

Why did I buy a car? The car needed a new transmission and solenoid shifter.

2000+ for a car not worth this amount and the recent accident in the parking lot.

I am on my own so I got the best deal I could possibly get in my situation. I didn't have to ask anyone to cosign for me. My credit is almost where I want it to be. 700+

Insurance policy only went up $5 :rofl: got rid of the old car and used the money as a down payment.

Hiking is my best friend at the moment.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:20 am 

On my way to a 5 mile feel good because it is Monday; I get hit by an old lady in the parking lot with full face coverage glasses.

Waiting on the insurance company to see what they say...

On the other tip I had to help my brother or else it would get really dire.

We had to help and this was the only time since ever; I owe money from a family member so as I could help my brother and will start paying early next year. I borrowed because I didn't want to touch my savings.

The family member didn't want to give my brother the money. I didn't want to see him lose his car.

The goal is to go hiking this weekend and just deal as things come up.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:55 pm 

fantasma, I've really enjoyed reading through your journal. It is clear that you have grown so much personally and made large strides on your financial goals. You should be so proud! :clap:

I wonder what number you would get if you were to add up all the payments you have made since you began this journal that went towards credit card debt, student loans, and the AT&T and Comcast debt. (This way, it shows what you paid toward interest, etc., too, rather than just principal payments.) I am betting that that number would be pretty impressive because it seems to me that you have done so much to maximize your income in addition to living frugally. You have a fantastic work ethic! It is obvious to me that you are on track to pull ahead and eventually be an a position where you experience less financial stress and much more pleasure from life.

Keep up the great work!

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:22 pm 

Thank you.

After a horrendous week I hiked a total of 28 miles from Friday to Monday.

Feeling better, I have received some positive feedback/affirmations.

I have many more trails to explore and re-explore before the end of this year.

I have lost 10lbs thus far into the weight loss challenge.

Goal is to lose another 35 more pounds. I doubt it will all be within the next 60 days.

But that's in a perfect world. I am going to re-start the 5k program and fully intend to finish by 12/31/12.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:57 pm 

Are you going to share the details of your newest purchase? I'm curious. :)

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:09 pm 

peachy wrote:
Are you going to share the details of your newest purchase? I'm curious. :)

Well I am not as well off as everyone here. My car cost 12,500 after all the fees associated with car buying. 340 per month for 48 months. I am shooting for being done in 36 months.

My credit is still recovering from being married. :^)

I might get a %5 raise which pissed me off since I do %100 more than what I am supposed to do. Nothing official yet.

Actively seeking work elsewhere. This is just not the place for me anymore. Very poor management and an unhappy status with the environment. My work is a lot of fun and challenging when I get something in the pipeline. Anyone want to hire me to work overseas within the project management sphere?

Working out losing weight mainly outdoors.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:53 am 

Not everyone here is well off, so you got a car that will work and not cause you any problems. You were able to get a loan even with your bad divorce credit, so you're doing something right.

I'm happy for you and I'm glad you're looking to leave that job. It's a burden.

Keep up with the exercise. I ran in 42 degree weather this morning. Brr..wish I was in FL like you. :)

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:10 pm 

fantasma wrote:
Well I am not as well off as everyone here.

Fantasma,

Many of us who would be considered well of by most people did not start out that way. My parents started off as what many would consider as poor and built a middle-class life. I was lucky enough to leverage off that and build a life that many would consider well off. Still others on this board were able to make the leap directly from poor to well off.

You're doing all the right things. Keep doing them. If you're like most of us, you'll have setbacks, but that's why you have an emergency fund -- so that setbacks are merely setbacks, not complete reversals of fortune.

There are no guarantees in life, but hard work does often pay off. You've made enormous strides since your first post here. Just keep going.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:54 pm 

VinTek wrote:
fantasma wrote:
Well I am not as well off as everyone here.

Fantasma,

Many of us who would be considered well of by most people did not start out that way. My parents started off as what many would consider as poor and built a middle-class life. I was lucky enough to leverage off that and build a life that many would consider well off. Still others on this board were able to make the leap directly from poor to well off.

You're doing all the right things. Keep doing them. If you're like most of us, you'll have setbacks, but that's why you have an emergency fund -- so that setbacks are merely setbacks, not complete reversals of fortune.

There are no guarantees in life, but hard work does often pay off. You've made enormous strides since your first post here. Just keep going.

Thank you

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:53 pm 

fantasma wrote:
Thank you

You're welcome. And I'd guess that most of us here on the board who would be considered well off are older than you. We didn't get there overnight. And while luck has played a part in what some of us have today (I know this is true for myself and I remember DH having written something similar), most of what people call "luck" is the intersection between opportunity and being able to capitalize on that opportunity.

Everyone has opportunities. Being able to recognize them and act on them is what makes the difference. That's what you're positioning yourself to be able to do. You'll get there. Give it time.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:19 am 

I finally have 20 stocks in my IRA Account!

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:22 pm 

I'm happy for you, but why would you buy 20 stocks for your IRA? Stocks are risky business unless you plan on just buying them and holding them. Do you have index funds too, or just stocks? I am curious as to what you bought.

I have 10 stocks in all of my retirement funds because it seemed that my mutual funds were taking too long to gain anything, so I decided to be a little more risky. It's been 6 years since I've owned them and all but one has increased in value, so I can't complain.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:13 pm 

peachy wrote:
I'm happy for you, but why would you buy 20 stocks for your IRA? Stocks are risky business unless you plan on just buying them and holding them. Do you have index funds too, or just stocks? I am curious as to what you bought.

I have 10 stocks in all of my retirement funds because it seemed that my mutual funds were taking too long to gain anything, so I decided to be a little more risky. It's been 6 years since I've owned them and all but one has increased in value, so I can't complain.

I have ETFS in my 457B and my contribution style "penson"....

I always wanted a portofolio of stocks that have dividends I personally picked to see where they go:) My IRA is a very small amount compared to my other two retirement accounts.

I am nowhere near the point where I am contributing 5000 per year.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:03 pm 

fantasma wrote:
peachy wrote:

I always wanted a portofolio of stocks that have dividends I personally picked to see where they go:) My IRA is a very small amount compared to my other two retirement accounts.

I had the same question as peachy - not a criticism - and my question had more to do with how having 20 stocks relates to your goals. Is your goal to have 20 dividend paying stocks?

As a suggestion, I would keep the amount you have in any individual stock to below 5% of your (total) portfolio. With equal amounts in 20 stocks you will have that even if you have nothing else.

Do you keep up with the 20 companies you partly own? Did you pick the stocks because you liked the companies' products or because of their finances? (People might have opinions about this but very successful investors have done it both ways).

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:04 pm 

DoingHomework wrote:
fantasma wrote:
peachy wrote:

I had the same question as peachy - not a criticism - and my question had more to do with how having 20 stocks relates to your goals. Is your goal to have 20 dividend paying stocks?

As a suggestion, I would keep the amount you have in any individual stock to below 5% of your (total) portfolio. With equal amounts in 20 stocks you will have that even if you have nothing else.

Do you keep up with the 20 companies you partly own? Did you pick the stocks because you liked the companies' products or because of their finances? (People might have opinions about this but very successful investors have done it both ways).

The stocks are no where near %5 I put in $55 a month nothing more than that so this is a long process...I was going to buy the stocks through computer share...but decided to go through a Sharebuilder...By the time I am 40 I won't be buying stocks and just etfs and or bonds nothing else...I want to see where this goes once I am done buying my choice of stocks....currently I own CSX...my next option is Abbot....which is what I am starting on in December. I've learned alot from this forum no worries I hav over 30yrs until retirement:)

Offline Profile   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 455 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill, Fiscal Fitness Moderator Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next