dcsimg The Get Rich Slowly Forums • View topic - Sandi's Plans, 2010...

GRS Home  Forum Home
Bank Rates Center
   Savings Account Rates
   Money Market Rates
   Highest CD Rates
Insurance Rates Center
  Auto           Health
   Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:26 pm

Post subject: Re: Sandi's Plans, 2010...
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:17 am 

Mid-June update:

- I mailed the signed and approved new 20-Year Fixed Term LI policy for DH in yesterday. Yay! This will cover him until retirement, which is a big relief.

- The Toyota SOLD, SOLD, SOLD. Setting aside the funds back into our savings account; trying to get to 10 months of expenses in savings, and this will get us close.

- Bad news - boating accident, involving ER visits, and deductible. Out of pocket cost estimated at $1500, but could be worse. We could have been seriously hurt, or not have the cash on hand to deal with it. Or not be fully insured. None of those are true, so we'll get through it.

:D :D :D Progress!

Sandi

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:59 pm 

July update...

sandi_k wrote:
- Fully max out my 403(b) account! $1375/month x 12 = $16,500 in retirement savings!

$9,625/$16,500 = 58%. On track for year, in addition to another 2% towards my pension plan, and another $6K towards the 457(b) plan. I also hope to max out a Roth again this year. Next year, I'm moving towards maxing the Roth first, then maxing out the 403(b) if possible, since I don't get an employer match on the 403(b).

sandi_k wrote:
- Get the joint savings account fully re-funded (dipped into it for a car) and xfer the $$ to ING so it's less accessible.

The car SOLD at last, and the money is deposited. Once the HOLD is released next week, I'll be transferring funds over to ING. So this is essentially DONE.

sandi_k wrote:
- Start a Hills & Valleys account for DH's business.

DONE. Funded at $5K, may go to $8K, if I can only persuade him to use it. :)

sandi_k wrote:
- Pay $12K against the house principal.

We pay ~ $900 in principal on the normal payment (going up every month, of course). Current projections have us as paying $14,400 or so for the year. Ahead of schedule, at $8400/12000 = 70%.

sandi_k wrote:
- Prepay against the new car loan every time my personal savings exceeds $2K; try and get car paid off in 2.5 years, instead of 4.

Haven't done this yet, as I'm still on furlough through August 31. My conservative projections show I'll be able to pay ~ $1500 in December in a lump sum.

sandi_k wrote:
- Get DH's term life policy extended/in place for the next 20 year term.

DONE, Done, done!

sandi_k wrote:
- Exercise more regularly.

Not done.

sandi_k wrote:
- Purge stuff. Our closets are ridiculous (it's a 1923 house, but still!).

Not done.

sandi_k wrote:
- Finish kitchen porch renovation.

Done, except the hand railings and the house paint touchup.

sandi_k wrote:
- Get house closets re-done professionally.

On Hold, until we see how things are going.

I feel pretty good about this, considering April-June were almost entirely devoted to our friend dying of cancer. Despite a major time commitment to V, we managed not to entirely derail ourselves financially. What did take the hit - exercise, and focus on the house. I can live with that. 8)

Sandi

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:52 am 

Late September Update:

OK, things have been so chaotic this past 2 months I thought it was time to re-draw the slate....

Car sold. Yay.
Worker's Comp settlement signed. After 10 years. Yay!
DFriend passed away. Left a small amount of LI to me.

All of this has meant unexpected income. My plan....

Car funds:
- Transferred into Emergency Fund. We're now at 10 months of expenses socked away at ING. No plans to use it on anything else.

Worker's Comp Settlement:
- Currently in my ING account. I am dollar-cost-averaging it into my 403(b) and 457 (b) accounts each month. In sum, investing ~ $2000 per month.

- I've decided to move $5K of it into a Roth IRA at Fidelity for 2010. And another $5K of it into a Roth IRA in 2011. The remainder will continue to be moved as a DCA contribution until all invested. In terms of scheduling, that means that I should continue to invest $10K at $550 per month until the $10K is depleted. That's 18 months. I'm currently 8 months in. So that means until July of 2011.

- The LI. I'll be spending ~35% of it on DF's funeral and memorial costs. Then another 35% on a donation to the American Cancer Society in her name. The remaining 30% (about $2K) will go to savings, I think.

It does help to write it all out.

Other goals for the year -

- Prepaying on the mortgage is on track. We're planning to have paid $15K on the mortgage principal this year.

- Porch still not done.

- Closets still not done.

Soon, grasshopper. Soon. ;)

Sandi

Offline Profile   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill, Fiscal Fitness Moderator Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3