Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:44 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2010 moving forward
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:08 pm 

Peachy: I was working full time with benefits and last week the company announced to eliminate most of the full time jobs (40) and replace them with twice as many part time jobs. So my choice was to stay at the job a just 17! hours a week (though it's been rumoured to be even less than that) or take a severance package. Given that there was zero flexibility with the hours and I wanted to change jobs this year anyway, severance was a better choice for me.
Suprisingly the company thought more people would stay part time and are scrambling to figure out how work is going to get done. I'm curious to see what happens next. Maybe there's a sweet deal for someone like me.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject: february update
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:09 am 

Found a journal from 2005 that showed we owed $108,000 in mortgage, home equity, car loan and credit cards. We now owe nada, zero, notta, zilch. ANd I wrote about how much I hated the job I'm being laid from next week. huh.

Goals update
1. Roth 0/5000
2. New/used car fund 0/13000
3. Roof Fund 0/5000
4. Emergency fund 20,300
5. Personal fund 58/1000 (total 1058, 1300 saved last year)

Most everything extra is being plunked into EF until we know what's what. I spent $300 on adult ed. classes to update skills, a necessity, from my personal funds, but otherwise sticking to my cash only, carry no credit/debit is hugely helpful.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:30 pm 

Journals are such cool things to have when you actually go back and look at them. It reminds you of your thoughts and feelings, and it's obvious that you were ready to leave that place, and now you have. Kudos!

Your goals look good..onwards and upwards!

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:47 am 

1. Roth 2010 0/5000
2. N/used car fund 0/13000
3. Roof Fund 0/5000
4. EF 21,420
5. Personal fund 1110/2000
6. New job/ skills/other sources of income

We're good here. Put most of my last packcheck into EF. Husband's company is planning to expand and feel that his job is secure for now. Cleaning and reorganizing the kitchen and pantry before shopping today (with cash).

Offline Profile   
 Post subject: another reason to beef up the emergency fund
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:57 am 

I signed severance papers yesterday. I didn't realize what a long stretch (likely 5-6 weeks) it would be between final paycheck and severance pay. The unemployment benefits don't kick in until after I have a hearing in April. Again least 6 weeks from the time I applied for benefits. Even if this is not typical, I thought it would be worth mentioning that delays happen.
That said, we're fine. There was a time less than five years ago, it might have been a problem. I'm appreciating that.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:23 pm 

Why do you have to have a hearing when you were laid off? Sometimes an employer gives you severance and state that you chose to quit instead so that you can take the severance package, but once the unemployment claim is filed they try to deny you your benefits. It shouldn't take that long to get your benefits since you were laid-off.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:43 am 

fantasma wrote:
Sometimes an employer gives you severance and state that you chose to quit instead so that you can take the severance package, but once the unemployment claim is filed they try to deny you your benefits. It shouldn't take that long to get your benefits since you were laid-off.

Yikes! Denied, that would suck. We were told to apply as early as possible because the system is backlogged. One person I know is getting benefits already, others don't have to have a hearing, but most of us are in the same boat--applied, waiting for a hearing about our severance.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject: oil prices
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:21 pm 

I just paid the quarterly real estate taxes and the next known big variable expense is home heating oil pre buy. Last year I got lucky and prebought at $2.19/gal. I signed up today at our oil company's online site so I can check the daily rates whenever I want and prebuy when the price is right. Used to be the summer was the lowest rate, but the last couple of years have been been anything but normal.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject: mini update
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:01 pm 

Week 4 unemployed and the end of the week signals that my month to look lightly and relax is up. It's been great to be at home. I want retirement to be like this. I travelled with my mother in law up to Maine and Boston-she needed a driver, I liked the change of scenery. Starting computer classes tonight, signed up for volunteer work on a couple of projects in town, and meeting with people about jobs are some of the things keeping me busy. Plus, having my parents visit (they left this morning) made my house that much cleaner. I was a whirling dervish for about a week decluttering and cleaning--I needed the motivation and the result is very nice. My Dad thinks my guest room really looks like that all the time, which makes me giggle.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:48 am 

Ah ellie, you are where I am striving to be. Able to take the financial punches as they come. You should be very proud of where you are.

Good luck with the job search!

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject: odd bits
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:44 am 

Taxes: Even though everything was straightforward and uncomplicated, just getting the information we needed together was a pain this year. I've got to work on filing and getting printouts of online statements we need on a timely basis. Plus we owed.

Calling to get estimates for the roof this week. Tax credit!

Grocery bill out of hand, again. Apparently all this free time gives me a chance to make lots of little trips to the grocery store.

Brother in law called divorce lawyer last week. Money problems. Wife took out 60k in loans for her family on her credit card without telling him. Yuck.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:11 am 

ellie377 wrote:
Grocery bill out of hand, again. Apparently all this free time gives me a chance to make lots of little trips to the grocery store.

I'm working on getting my grocery bill in hand too. Last week I thought I was doing really well until I added it all up. $117! But in my defense that included pullups and Easter dinner. :$

I know if I had free time I would probably spen more money because I would have time to make fun and exciting things.

How's the job search going?

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:13 pm 

Numbercruncher, Yea, I'm going to be following your posts about the groceries,too. You're doing great by the way. $117 for five and that includes Easter and pull ups? I'm still working out the non food, holiday, occasion part of equation too. I try work it in, but sometimes it's not possible. I post our dinner menus on the refrigerator for the week which really helps with faster meal prep, shopping lists and the hey-let's go out impulse.

My hearing for UE went fine. I should be getting a check for severance in the next week as well. Putting the severance aside for now in theory to put toward school, training, maybe a new laptop. Talked to husband about putting aside weekly amount towards retirement/ Roth contributions.

The post about time debt was timely today. Job search is frustrating because I'm not following through on what I need to do to get things done this week. Dialing down the other distractions is tougher than I imagined.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject: April goals
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:06 pm 

April goals
1 start contributing to 2010 roth
2.roll over 401k from last job to IRA
3. find a better rate for EF funds
4. Stick to our grocery budget of $400. Current spending $174.
5 find a place for severance pay with good rate, separate from regular funds

Dh, my darling frugal zealot, is generally pleased with our savings rate, and he offered to bankroll a modest weekend getaway to Niagara Falls with our niece this month with HIS savings. A first! Yea!

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:28 am 

Yay for Niagara Falls. How fun!

When you do your research for rates, let me know what you come up with. I don't know that anyone has great rates right now, so you may just have to ride out the low interest rate savings accounts for a while.

Offline Profile   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill, Fiscal Fitness Moderator Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next