Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:45 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: temporarily stuck
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:56 am 

Last night I went to bed worrying about money. I'm going to take minute and sort it out.

checks: I cashed the first check from unemployment, but the rest including my severance are clipped in a drawer. They need a better home. Just not our checking or regular savings. I want to put them toward big ticket items (roth,roof,car, education) if I can.

grocery bill: grocery exceeded monthly budget. Yesterday's grocery shopping brought me to $449 vs $400. I broke down the purchases $293 was "regular" and rest was extras: party food, special food for overnight guests, holidays, & specialty store extra trips. Yowza. I don't regret the additonal social activity spending.(My mom has only been here one other time in 10 years.) Some of the extra trips to the store were excuses to get out of the house during my job search.

gas prices: the price of gas near my house jumped by $.06 cents yesterday to $2.98

roof: I got two bids on the roof and they are so wildly divergent in scope of the job and price that I probably need to get another. I was hoping that two would be enough.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject: Re: 2010 moving forward
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:36 am 

It's good that you wrote everything down to get yourself focused again.

Why are the roof estimates so different? I'd definitely get a third. Make sure you ask the third contractor about some of the things in the other contract so you can make a balanced comparison.

As you know, you can always open an ING account and subdivide your money into different piles. Sounds like another account is what you need for your severance $$.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 7:14 am 

I read the the Bag Lady Papers in the supermarket yesterday, a book about an affluent, successful woman, Alexandra Penney, who lost her life savings in the Madoff debacle. The book describes what this artist went through the 8 weeks following the news, alternating with her work and life history. A survival guide of sorts about hard work, resiliency, gratitude and common fear women have about winding up with nothing, being a bag lady.
It was an interesting read and I'm thinking more about my future as a result, plus of course, comparing how much hustle and work she did in eight weeks. I've been unemployed for 8 weeks.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:18 pm 

I want to get our money into a higher interest bearing accounts. It's making me crazy that my husband isn't jumping to move money out of our Bank of America money markets earning a minuscule .10%. That's a tenth of one percent.

I finally opened an ING savings account. I put my savings in it.

My husband found a 3 year cd @3.25% (Hudson City Bank) in which we are going to put car money this year. Maybe.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:10 am 

Home heating oil prices have dropped 30 cents a gallon in the past month. It's a small thing but I'm giddy. We might have an area we will be underbudget on. AN area I can control. Plus gas prices are finally dropping a little.
Unemployment not good for me. Job search frustrating. My own worst enemy-trying to get out of my own way and all that.
All things financial frustrating. Can't make decisions. Husband no help, his only way of thinking is to become really cheap which frustrates me even more.
I hate this post, but thinking I need to writie something if only to recognize where I'm at.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:13 pm 

Goals Update
1. roth funded $5000/ 5000 (money set aside in separate ING account for now)
2. car fund 3000/14000 ($3k in 2 year 3.25% cd at a local bank)
3. EF 20k put into higher bearing interest ING account
4. personal fund-49/1000
5 New Roof 0/6k
6. Vacation? In discussion again for next year.

Roth was funded by my severance pay, I set it aside, not committing it Roth just yet until I get a new job ,just in case. Goal is to get the roof done by fall and tap the EF depending on when we actually have work done. Contractor lined up, just waiting. Drained my personal fund to pay off a credit card. That hurt as I regretted some of the purchases that could have been better used toward purchasing a new laptop. Determined to build the fund up and use anything above $500 in personal fund for a new computer.
Big breakthrough with hubs, he opened another local checking account that pays .77%. We've agreed to put future savings directly into the either the ING account or that checking. (ANd my goal is to eventually move those funds into laddered CDs or other investment.)

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:41 pm 

whatever you do, just keep on moving forward. any progress is good. get frustrated, get worried, it's all part of working through the process. everything is at least a little forward step.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject: unexpectedly buying a laptop
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:31 pm 

My husband left town with the family home laptop (it's his) this week. I bought a used laptop Wednesday because I couldn't get enough time in at the library to get things done and I was frustrated.
Why a used laptop? I had been in Best Buy three times to look for a laptop and got zero service. I went to the local computer repair guy and he set me up within a hour. $440 = a decent used Dell inspiron, new battery, spyware installed, 1 year of service. Could I have better spent my money towards a new one? Probably. Am I willing to live with this one? Yes. Did I really need to buy it now versus 3 months from now? I think so. Paying for it out of the money I set aside for the Roth. This was my first computer purchase.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:55 pm 

I'm confused, is husband coming back?

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:57 pm 

Husband is back.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject: Reciprocating
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:38 pm 

Reciprocity: For a few years now we've been attending picnics and summer bar-b-ques at the homes of friends but have never had an event of our own. Is it enough that we attend and bring stuff when we're invited? We attended two events this weekend at friends we don't see regularly any more, but we love seeing them.

My husband doesn't feel that we need to do anything extra. I'm not so sure.
I trying to figure out if we are using our lack of entertaining/social skills as a cover for being cheap.
Any thoughts?

Last edited by ellie377 on Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:24 pm 

If you don't mind hosting, sure, invite your friends over!
Some people really enjoy having people over, and others do not. If you want to host a party, do it! There's no rule saying that if you go over to someone's house 10 times, you should invite them to come over to yours.

I don't have people oververy often, but on the rare occasions that I do, I usually enjoy myself and wonder why I don't do it more often. :|

Offline Profile   
 Post subject: Next 6 months
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:31 am 

Looking ahead. I'm feeling optimistic today.

1. Pay back fund earmarked for this year's Roth $440 (new used laptop purchased this month-so great!)
2 New/used car fund.
3. get a job.

I'm so thrilled with the laptop purchase, that having limited funds for discretionary expenses/ personal savings for a couple of months is fine.
If we can get the car fund above 10k in the next 6 months, we'll start to talk about vacation for early next year. Nice incentive. I'm hoping we have three more years before we have to buy and can purchase with cash cars we like. We got our tax bill for the cars today-another nice thing about having old cars-low taxes.
Job search stalled. I'm taking most of the week off to celebrate the 4th with family and restart again.

As I write this, husband tells me about car repair bill for accident he had last weekend.
He backed into a tree and needs to get whole door replaced. Whoops.He feels really bad, he's a very cautious driver, and having to spend money to fix something he thinks he could have prevented is driving him nuts. Our insurance deductible is $1000, so we're paying for this. If we had more money saved in our car fund or I didn't think we could get a few more years out of the car, we'd probably be looking for another used car now. Add researching cars to the do to list.
Also add checking out insurance rates for our cars. We're paying a lot for premiums relative to the value of the cars. (I just checked out values on Kelley BB)

Offline Profile   
 Post subject: new tax bill
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:58 pm 

Our tax bill came today for the year and it's a big jump compared to the past ten years. As in the increase = total of increases we've in the past ten years. So I am surprised.
The city where I live usually spaces out approved increases over several years so I need to investigate if this is the kind of increase is what I should expect going forward for the next couple of years.
Oh, ok, checked the records, this is with the new assessment of the house. It's ridiculously high relative to the current market.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:43 am 

Yeah, mine was surprisingly high as well and with the assessment to boot. I wonder if there is a way to lower that assessment value based off the current market or if we are stuck with last years prices.

"Look, the people you are after are the people you depend on. We cook your meals, we haul your trash, we connect your calls, we drive your ambulances. We guard you while you sleep. Do not... f*** with us. " --Tyler Durden

Offline Profile   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill, Fiscal Fitness Moderator Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next