Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:26 am

Post subject: Re: 2010 moving forward
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:05 pm 

Cranky Bolt: The assessments were done here in 2007 just after the height of real estate boom, but only taking effect now. I remember when the information came after they assessed the house. I had considered setting up an appeal then, but reading through the information about how they did the assessment realized that I didn't have a case. Assessments are usually done here every five years. I think it should even out with the next assessment period assuming the market isn't going to zoom up like that again. I'll post here if I find out more information about appeals. Seniors here can apply for decrease in property taxes if they meet certain criteria.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject: July update
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:55 pm 

This is an ok, treading water month: bills got paid, car fixed up after accident, we pre bought oil for next season, the local taxes got paid (auto, real estate), routine maintenance visits scheduled (water, septic, heating system). Our various accounts for these routine things are wiped out, however, except for the car accident expense we are pretty close to where I expected to be.

The tax increase continues to be a topic of conversation with the neighbors and I wasn't the only one caught off guard with the increase in mill rate coupled with the new assessment. Last year there was a freeze on increases. Expect a similar increase 12% next year and then phase in of current assessment is complete.

Still no job, been doing a lot of volunteering, some freelance work and have had a chance to try some things out. Two weeks ago hit the re start button on diet and strength training to boost my confidence. Very, very grateful for unemployment insurance compensation. Still love the new (used) computer.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject: Buying cars, mistakes, and end of summer
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:55 pm 

Little has changed since last month. Including our bank accounts. I've been upping our grocery bill to include more healthy treats like nuts, berries and fresh fish as I'm trying to eat better/ lose weight. Add in a couple of weddings (which I never seem to remember to add in the additional costs for when I budget), a long weekend away and summer's gone.
No regrets there.

I did start using my credit card again when the report about cash versus credit cards with rewards came out. I need to put a smackdown on that because I forget how quickly it adds up even when I think I'm being smart about using it. (I get free gas as a reward). Even with the rewards and being able to pay for in full, it's just too much of a slippery slope since I'm not willing to track every expense every time. The card needs to go back into the draw until I can really use it as a tool. I'm still conflicted about the rewards people get at the expense of those who pay cash.

In my first trip to the mall in 6 months I got lazy and took out cash at the ATM and realized yesterday I paid a total of $5.50 in fees for a $40 withdrawal. I died just a little when I saw it on my account. One step forward, two steps back, eh?

My current main goal is to open an account specifically for n/used car fund. I've been putting it off waiting for the roof to get done because I know that an estimate is just that. Even so, two car purchases loom and I don't how much time I've got - 6 months-4 years?
I've been looking around for my next car trying to do research.
The car (Volvo) I really want is unrealistic with additional insurance and repair expenses even if I could pay for it entirely in cash. My husband and I currently drive Ford (03/ 121k) and Saturn(01/74k) because we made a conscious choice to buy American last time. I'm not sure I feel the same this time around. My husband will most likely go to the closest car lot to where his car dies and will purchase paying cash based on what's currently in our accounts. That's what works for him.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject: Re: 2010 moving forward
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:54 pm 

The choice you made to buy American last time isn't the wrong choice Ellie. Whether other people will hop in this thread about the virtues of a cheap price vs paying for something made here etc etc, I really don't care. As frugal as we are on these boards, sometimes it's better overall if you actually support your community even if it's slightly more.

Just make sure you research what "American" really means in terms of cars. For example, I bought a specific Ford car because I worked in a Ford plant once doing electrical work. That plant is still in existence because people buy that car.

So, Hyundai makes cars in America as well. I would buy a Hyundai Elantra over, say, a Ford Fiesta (made in mexico).

There are some higher end debates that get into the idea of "it's more important where the money the company earns sits. Overseas? or here?". I slightly disagree with that and I pay more attention to where the money to pay the labor goes.

It seems the only vote we have these days that actually does anything, is the vote with our dollar.

"Look, the people you are after are the people you depend on. We cook your meals, we haul your trash, we connect your calls, we drive your ambulances. We guard you while you sleep. Do not... f*** with us. " --Tyler Durden

Offline Profile   
 Post subject: Buying local
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:49 pm 

Thank you, Crankybolt. My comment about whether it mattered to buy American made cars stemmed from my confusion about where cars and parts are made now. I will do my research and spending accordingly. New York Times has a listing of autos made in America.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject: October
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:02 am 

Roof is currently being replaced. I'm waiting for the final bill. I'm ready to set up that separate car fund now and start thinking about next year. Wasn't sure if the estimate was going to be accurate, but looks like it will actually be under. Change in weather makes me think about more work that needs to be done on our house.

goals update
1. Roth fully funded
2. roof funded
3. car fund $8,000/14000
4 personal fund $41/1000

Husband got 1k bonus from work plus MIL unexpectedly gave us a check to cover repairs from accident at her house this summer. Car fund is back on track.

My personal savings is not. I cut back on it when my income dropped. I miss it.

Offline Profile   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill, Fiscal Fitness Moderator Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4