Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:51 pm

Post subject: Adam's plan
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:40 pm 

My goals are very clear to me, my vision for where I want to go is clear, one of those goals for my life is to become a husband. I want a family, but I also want a business. Since I'm a list kinda person, here is my list.

Graduate College
Get married
Have a family
Start a business (Currently I'm doing freelance web design)
Become a millionaire by 30

The goal I'm focused most on right now is graduating college (I start next month). After which I want to shift my attention on becoming a millionaire by 30. To become wealthy in America, you must increase your net worth. That is your assets minus liabilities = net worth. By 30 I want a net worth of $1,000,000 +.

How can I get there?
I believe firmly in the fact that if I ever want to get there I should start a business. Currently I'm running a business that started as a hobby, it still is a hobby. I built websites for fun until I realized I could make money doing it. So far I've made close to $180, and invested $121 in it. I've made close to a 48% return this year not counting the value of some free software I've received, other wise I'm looking at a 370% return.

Web design
Currently I don't make nearly enough to support my self either through web design or my job. I hope to eventually make $3000-$4000 a month doing web design to support my self, then start another business in the computer industry. I've got 2 clients right now, I've got 4 others who are interested. I need to get some training on Flash and expand into custom script creation, learn some Ajax/JavaScript, and maybe a little PHP. I hope to finish this year off with a $500 profit, and next year make closer to $1000.

Investing - IRA
Right now I've got $600 put away for retirement, I might break that in half and save $300 for a car and put the rest in a CD account right now, I'm looking @ ING's IRA's but they average 5% return and have an expense of 1.4 % I think. I might just take the $600 put it into a CD account after I pay for my first semester of college, for 6 months and hope I don't need it soon. I might see if I can get a 3 month CD, just in case I need the money next year. Then invest it into my Roth IRA mutual fund. And let the $1000 grow until I get out of college, and save any additional money for a car. (I want a used 2000-2007 mini cooper. I hope I can get one for $5000 by the end of my first 2 years of college.

Right now I build websites, work at my church as a IT intern, focus most of my time on energy learning about money, and trying to pick my first mutual fund.

Current Net Worth: Close to $3000 liquid assets (cash), No debt, however $1400 college tutition coming up + books.

Maybe I'll start a college finance blog. Maybe JD can give me some tips on writing on personal finance.

That's it for now.

-Adam

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:59 pm 

Those are some extremely ambitious goals. I wish you all the best with them. Just be prepared for set back. While you can easily make a lot of money running your own business, you can just easily end up bankrupt.

You may want to pick up a copy of the July issue of Money magazine. The cover Article "getting rich in America" talks all about the risk, reward, and realities of being an entrepreneur.

Offline Profile   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill, Fiscal Fitness Moderator