dcsimg The Get Rich Slowly Forums • View topic - Adeline's Fiscal Fitness Journal

GRS Home  Forum Home
Bank Rates Center
   Savings Account Rates
   Money Market Rates
   Highest CD Rates
Insurance Rates Center
  Auto           Health
   Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:26 am

Post subject: Adeline's Fiscal Fitness Journal
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:33 pm 

I want to start this journal to (hopefully) achieve our ultimate dream of achieving financial independence by the time my husband and I are in our mid-50s.

Background: We are military members in our late 20s + 1 child. Both of us are enlisted; I'm active duty and he's in the Reserves. A couple of years ago, I was given this amazing opportunity to attend an accelerated grad school program full-time while still getting basic pay with housing/food allowances. In order to do this, my husband had to quit his job to be a SAHD. The past couple of years has been a bit of a struggle as a single-income family, but I think we're still doing okay as we don't have to worry about student loans when I graduate in a year so.

Debts:
Mortgage - $318,000 recently refinanced at 30 year fixed 3.25%
Car Loan 1 - $18,000 1.99%
Car Loan 2 - $5,000 2.49%
CC - $1000, 0%

Assets
House - $290,000
Car 1 - 20,135 (trade-in value)
Car 2 - 13,750 (trade-in value)
Roth IRA - $59,000
TSP/401K - $20,000
E FUND - $2,000

TAKE HOME PAY
[minus: taxes, healthcare, dental, term life insurance, (rental income minus mortgage + property management fees/routine expenses)]
$4,000

NEW BUDGET
Savings 500
Rent/Utilities 1146
Part time childcare 158.25
Car Payment 1 256.39
Car Payment 2 340
Car Insurance 120
Cable 49.48
Internet 43
Phone 210
Car SVC Pymt Plan 84.10
CC payment 91
Groceries/Household 350
Personal 100
Entertainment/Dining out 100
Education/Books 50
Car (Gas/Maint) 200
Misc/Gifts 100
Mom's allowance 100

TOTAL $3998.22

Short-term goal: Re-build the EFund back to $15K by stopping ROTH/TSP contributions. We had to take out a fair amount for down payment on the nused cars (we used to drive 15+ yo cars and both of them broke down/died last year). The $2K on the E Fund scares me just because our house is currently a rental and *any* major repair can be disastrous to our finances. We're not really concerned about it being underwater as we plan to move back when my service obligation ends (7-10 yrs from now) and make it our retirement home.

The phone bill looks outrageous but we have 4 people in our plan including my mom & older brother. He is in a tight financial situation (long story), and I told him that's the only way I can help him out without creating a strain on our own budget. My mom is another story, but in a nut shell she will probably rely on me as her primary caregiver (She's 63, immigrated in the US 9 yrs ago, with 0 retirement savings & only relying on SS).

The groceries/household budget is $350. This used to be so much more. My husband LOVES cooking from scratch and my daughter enjoys baking so it's sort of our favorite bonding activity. We spend a lot of time in the kitchen. We love food way too much, and I have to admit we tend to go overboard sometimes with our gourmet meals at home.

So I only set aside $100 for entertainment/dining out. I think this is going to be the real challenge as we also like to get out once a week to try a different place to eat. This city is a mecca for foodies. We do Groupon regularly so it's just a matter of self-discipline and sticking to our budget. We shall see.

The book/education fund. I set aside $50 every month because I am trying to build my personal library for my practice. I know I can always borrow from the library, but I really need to have my own especially when I'm always highlighting pages/making notes every day I'm in my clinical rotations. Granted, there's only a few essential books I need to buy, so some months I may not even need it.

So a lot going on here and I want to write down everything to keep me in check. But I want to focus on the savings first & rebuilding that E fund even if it pains me not being able to contribute to our TSP or Roth this time around. But this is just a minor setback, as a year from now we are hoping will be in a much better financial situation when I commission as an officer. There are lots of good things going for us, such as excellent health care coverage & a good military pension when I hit early 40s. For now, it's just a matter of being more disciplined w/ our spending habits.

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject: Re: Adeline's Fiscal Fitness Journal
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:02 pm 

Welcome, Adeline! It sounds like building up the emergency fund is a great choice since it's a rental right now. Will be watching your progress and cheering you on...

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject: Re: Adeline's Fiscal Fitness Journal
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:15 pm 

Hi Adeline, good to have you join us!

Not that I'm an expert, but I think building up your cash reserves is a great idea. With a rental property and a child, it's good to have a big cushion.

You and your husband might want to agree on a target amount (for example. $10k) and then break it up into smaller milestones and celebrate each time you reach one. Like, when you reach 4k you celebrate with a Groupon meal, when you reach 6k you take a day trip to the beach etc. The reward doesn't have to be expensive either, you might get just as much out of indulging yourself with a decadent/fattening dessert you usually avoid or taking a day off from study/housework and just chilling out on the couch.

Marking them off on a paper chart or spreadsheet can be great motivation too. I look at my mortgage pay-off spreadsheet several times a week and geek-out over my increasing orange-shaded cells. Whatever keeps it 'fun'!

Offline Profile E-mail   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill, Fiscal Fitness Moderator