I find I do better when my goals are clear. For 2013, the goals are:
1. Pay $15K in principle on the mortgage. $3600/$15,000 = 24%
2. Pay off car ($4730 left). PAID IT OFF TODAY!
I had the funds sitting in three different accounts, and decided this month that I still had $2K in short-term savings once it was paid off. So I moved funds to checking, and just logged on to pay it off, on April 2. Wha-hoo!
3. Pay minimum of $1K each month towards joint savings goals, improving our net worth. $3200/$12,000 = 25% or so.
4. Create a household binder, with info for DH, including logon IDs, passwords, budgets, mealplans. TBD
I *have* gotten the binder, it's sitting in the kitchen bookcase with the cookbooks.
5. Do better at meal planning. TBD.
Joined Emeals via Groupon, $29 for 12 months. Still haven't used them, but I have the recipes, and I've been careful with grocery shopping. Coming in under budget so far.
6. Use cash at BevMo, Costco, and the grocery store. I've done this once so far this year.
But I have set a dollar budget, writing out what I buy (and how much!) before I go, and I've stuck to this amount.
7. Max out 403(b) at work. $5841/$17,500 = 33.37%
8. Continue charitable giving at current level of $750 per month. $3000/$9,000 = 33%
So the big victory - paid off the car. 8 months early. Yay!