dcsimg The Get Rich Slowly Forums • View topic - Laying my Financial Cornerstone

GRS Home  Forum Home
Bank Rates Center
   Savings Account Rates
   Money Market Rates
   Highest CD Rates
Insurance Rates Center
  Auto           Health
   Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:02 am

Post subject: Laying my Financial Cornerstone
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 1:24 pm 

To begin:

I graduated in 2008, moved back in with my parents to save money and find a job. I steadily watched my savings dwindle as I struggled to find a job in a sector hit by the recession. Jobs weren't coming easy but 6 months after graduation (ouch) I had a good paying and steady position. For the next 9 months I did nothing but eat, sleep and work to save for a down payment on my first home. Looking back I managed to put away over 80% of my income each month (Wish I had that power now :wasntme: ).

I've been in my house now for about 9 months and am starting to break from my house poor state of adjusting to all the new bills and frills of owning your own home. I have two cars, both payed for and have never carried any sort of debt outside of my current mortgage. 6k Emergency fund, 2k in regular savings, enough funds in checking to cover 1 extra month of bills (I like to have plenty of wiggle room in my main accounts). So now the fun begins...

2008 - Get A job
2009 - Move Out / Buy home
2010 - Lay the financial groundwork for the coming years.

I'm mixed on my goals for 2010 and thats where I hope you'll step in.

1. I'd really like to get my E-Fund up from 6k to 10k and eventually 12k.
2. I just started a Roth IRA with 1k, I'd really like to max that out this year as I won't be eligible to start 401k contributions until Jan. 2011.
3. $50 Extra a month to my principal payment on my mortgage. Looking at 22k savings and 4 years off my mortgage for the small additional sum of $600 a year.... sounds fantastic to me.

#3. seems super easy to me, its 1 and 2 that have me thinking. I don't make the money to be able to do both. Should I split evenly between them or go all for one or the other? I think I'd be most comfortable with the E-fund however the IRA could be used in an emergency as well and I'm lacking in retirement funds so far. I typically have between 100-300 left over each month with my current budget and would still like to have some play money (50-100) even after investing in the E-Fund or IRA.

Any words of wisdom are greatly appreciated.

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject: Re: Laying my Financial Cornerstone
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 6:27 am 

I think you can achieve all 3 of your goals.

As you mention, sending the extra $50/month to your mortgage is trivially easy.

Next, I'd focus on building up your emergency fund to the level which makes you comfortable. I know this makes you anxious because you want to feel like you're building your retirement, but with no debt, I think you're in good shape and can afford to wait a few more months and get that emergency fund solidified.

After your eFund is fully-funded, then you focus on retirement savings.

If you're really eager for a boost to speed things up, you could look into taking in a roommate, or selling your extra car.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:55 pm 

Bit of an update. 50 Extra a month has been allocated to the mortgage on automatic payments, 2k got allocated to the E-Fund, no movement on the IRA.

Mortgage 150/350
E-Fund 2,000/4,000
IRA 0/4,000

Not expecting any movement on the IRA but I put it up there just in case...

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:55 pm 

Well, I'm back. Although it doesn't look like I'll reach all my goals I am pleased with the results thus far. I was able to throw 2k into the IRA pot a couple months back and am excited to have 2k more to launch at it this month finishing out my goal for 2010 and maxing my IRA this year. I now stand at:

Mortgage Prepay: 300/350 ($50 extra a month since June)
E-Fund: 2,000/4,000
Roth IRA: 4,000/4,000 (With the 1k already in it this max's me out for the year :) )

Looking forward to finishing out the year and setting up new goals for 2011.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:42 am 

MDTJ wrote:
Well, I'm back. Although it doesn't look like I'll reach all my goals I am pleased with the results thus far. I was able to throw 2k into the IRA pot a couple months back and am excited to have 2k more to launch at it this month finishing out my goal for 2010 and maxing my IRA this year. I now stand at:

Mortgage Prepay: 300/350 ($50 extra a month since June)
E-Fund: 2,000/4,000
Roth IRA: 4,000/4,000 (With the 1k already in it this max's me out for the year :) )

Looking forward to finishing out the year and setting up new goals for 2011.

Congrats. Looks like you're doing great. :D

Offline Profile E-mail   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill, Fiscal Fitness Moderator