dcsimg The Get Rich Slowly Forums • View topic - New member and on the road to being free of immediate debt

GRS Home  Forum Home
Bank Rates Center
   Savings Account Rates
   Money Market Rates
   Highest CD Rates
Insurance Rates Center
  Auto           Health
   Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:23 am

Post subject: New member and on the road to being free of immediate debt
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:04 pm 

Greetings. I'm an 18 year old soon to be student working full time. I graduated school early so I could work. It was one of the best decisions I've ever made. Real life is a lot different than "high school life" I must say, and I love it. I'm going to be attending the Culinary Institute of America this coming June and excited to leave Missouri and finally make it out to the coast where I've wanted to be since 7th grade.

My whole debt stemmed from the fact that I didn't start working until very late(pretty much 18 ). I needed a car though. When i finally found the car that I wanted to buy(Nissan 200sx) it cost me $1700 plus assorted taxes and such. Came out to about $1900. My step dad said he'd pay half. I have to pay half and all the expenses, gas, insurance, repairs. My family helped me quite a lot. After money from grandparents, aunt, my mom, and from me I had only $1000 left to pay. Then my car broke. Transmission rebuilt to the tune of $2400. My step dad helped me again, opened a credit card(he couldn't put more on his as we are in some financial fatigue) put 2k on his, I put the remaining $400 on mine. Paid that off. Then I aggresively started paying him back with every one of my paychecks. As of today I only have $1000 left to pay off from the $3400 after repairs. It feels great to be so close to my goal. Next two paychecks will totally wipe this out, plus $600 or so I'm suppose to receive from the government. I'll have a bit saved up for college(most likely paying my car expense while i'm there, maybe even enough for that opera ticket).

Of course in a few days I'm about to step into 20k of debt for the first year of college, but planned expenses are much easier on the mind than the unplanned ones.

Almost there!

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:29 am 

Welcome!

Offline Profile   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill, Fiscal Fitness Moderator