Well, I'll Count This As a Minor Success...

Have you paid off your debt? Managed to save for your dream home? Had an awesome investment pan out? Share your personal finance success stories here.

Moderators: lvergon, Fiscal Fitness Moderator

Bluebell

Well, I'll Count This As a Minor Success...

Postby Bluebell » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:15 pm

This isn't like a huge, life-changing big deal, but I have really had an itch for a new summer dress. I have a fully-funded emergency fund ($6,000) and am also beginning to save for my own home. As I was driving today, I really, really, really wanted to stop at the mall and "treat myself" to a dress. I have an extra $300 burning a hole in my pocket with no bills due for two weeks and two paychecks coming in-between now and then.

As I was driving (coming closer to the mall), the "check engine light" on my car came on. Now, I know I could have EASILY afforded a new dress AND to get my car fixed, most likely both within the extra $300 I have. (I'm pretty sure there's a coolant issue that should cost less than $200 to take care of.) But I just kept on truckin' home because I don't want to chance having to dip into my EF or House Fund for a car repair.

At any rate, not a biggie, just a baby step, but I was proud of myself for staying motivated in the face of temptation. (I'm a little bit of a gearhead and don't get too upset about car repairs since I can do a lot of basic things myself.)

Return to “Success Stories”