dcsimg The Get Rich Slowly Forums • View topic - Graduated and out of credit card debt, all in one week!

GRS Home  Forum Home
Bank Rates Center
   Savings Account Rates
   Money Market Rates
   Highest CD Rates
Insurance Rates Center
  Auto           Health
   Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:51 am

Post subject: Graduated and out of credit card debt, all in one week!
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 11:10 am 

Last April I started taking control of my money. Without accounting for raises, windfalls, etc. I would be out of credit card debt by August 1 this year, and out of debt entirely by May 2011.

I graduated from Culinary School on Saturday, and had a graduation party Sunday that I paid for mostly in cash (I did put a little on my credit card while I waited for money to switch accounts). I put the cash gifts into my account today, paid off what I had put on one card for my party, and then paid off the final card that I'd been paying down for the last couple months.

As of tomorrow, I am out of credit card debt. WOO HOOO!!!!!! 2 and a half months early!!

So the money I'd been paying down that debt with starts going to a personal loan that pays off my laptop in 6 months. My one $3300 student loan starts payments in July, and I've decided to make double payments on it (rather than the quadruple that would fit into my debt snowball) in order to build some healthy credit. The extra money from the snowball will be headed into a Roth IRA starting this summer, as well as anything I may get from a raise at my 6-month review in 2 weeks.

My family is proud of me, and I'm proud of myself. 3 years ago I was living in abject poverty, failing to make ends meet, in an abusive relationship, with no career and no goals. Now I have a degree, a career doing something I love and for which I have talent, a job in my field at a highly respectable company, an emergency fund, a healthy relationship with myself and my new partner, and I'm out of consumer debt.

It took every ounce of strength that I had an more to get myself to this point. Daily reminders from personal finance blogs about keeping an eye on my goals, strategizing and re-configuring to make things work. SO WORTH IT!!!!!

New goal: Lose 25lbs by the end of summer. Just got my bike fixed (now that I can afford to do things like that!) and I live 2.5 miles from work, so it's time to start riding to work a couple days a week.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:36 am 

Wow, congratulations to you! It sounds like you really turned your life around. And getting out of an abusive relationship was probably the best thing you could have done. You have reason to be proud!

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:23 am 

That is SO COOL. Good for you - I really appreciate your sharing your story and really, really admire your strength to make such signifigant changes in your life in such a short time. I gotta repeat: Good for you! I hope to hear more successes from you soon to (continue to) inspire me...Now get cooking on that other debt! (see what I did there? LOL)

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 2:37 pm 

Congratulations!!
Those are all great accomplishments. Keep up the good work!

Offline Profile   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill, Fiscal Fitness Moderator