From rags to true riches

Have you paid off your debt? Managed to save for your dream home? Had an awesome investment pan out? Share your personal finance success stories here.

Moderators: lvergon, Fiscal Fitness Moderator

Sr Ken

From rags to true riches

Postby Sr Ken » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:11 am

This is a remarkable story about a German youth that went from dishwasher to owner of the United Furniture Warehouse chain. Having achieved financial success John Volken then sold the business and founded the Welcome Home Society. This is an organization that creates a free long-term residential peer community for men who are committed to changing their lives. Their problems can include substance abuse, difficulty with the law or behavioural challenges.

They are provided with jobs in the Society's sizeable Price Pro discount store in Surrey BC, motto: "Save Money, Change Lives."

<a href="http://www2.canada.com/surreynow/news/story.html?id=e134eaba-b3d8-4334-b74d-019f983fc5b2&p=1">Story source: Surrey Now</a>

What a wonderful story compared to successful tycoons going from rich to richer to jail. What makes people so different?

Yoree

Postby Yoree » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:12 pm

I didn't the history behind this guy. Although I did shop at United Furniture Warehouse quite a few times.

There's another success story out of Vancouver actually - Brian Scudamore who started a junk removal company when he was in high school and now owns 1-800-GOT-JUNK? corporation. I'm a big fan of him, actually.

Sr Ken

Postby Sr Ken » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:01 am

I'm going to get him over to my place the next time my wife is gone for the day! :lol:

Return to “Success Stories”