Darn right I'm proud

Have you paid off your debt? Managed to save for your dream home? Had an awesome investment pan out? Share your personal finance success stories here.

Moderators: lvergon, Fiscal Fitness Moderator

The Undertaker

Darn right I'm proud

Postby The Undertaker » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:27 pm

After paying off my car loan a year and a half early I was amazed by what a difference it made. Sure, the extra cash was nice but the additional freedom? That was downright addictive. So I really started to ramp up my financial focus. After negotiating a raise and taking on additional hours I increased my take home by 15%. I also set some really ambitious goals that forced me to further tighten my belt and switched to an all cash system.

Here's how I'm ending my year:

Consumer debt: $0 (Haven't carried a balance in two years. $3,000 at the highest)
Car loan: $0 (Finished in May)
Retirement: $11,000 ish (Three years of contributions)
Emergency fund: $1,000 (started the year at $300)
'Big Daddy' Emergency fund: $10,000 (Started at $0) So freaking proud of this one
Personal escrow for upcoming dental work: $500
Christmas: Paid in Cash
Student loan: Additional $100 paid to principle every month
BOOM!

Northern light

Re: Darn right I'm proud

Postby Northern light » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:38 am

Congrationaltions! Great work!

LeRainDrop

Postby LeRainDrop » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:05 pm

Undertaker, way to go on your successes! Keep up the great work as you set (and achieve) your goals for 2013!

RayinPenn

Postby RayinPenn » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:58 am

like I told cely ...You are me only 20 years go! My wife and I practiced the following:

1) We made extra payments on our mortgage when we could.
2) We clipped coupons and always bought on sale
3) brown bagged it
4) avoided $4 cups of coffee
5) bought a modest home we could afford.
6) never, never used credit card debt. I work in the credit card business and I can tell you those little plastic squares can ruin a marriage and family.
7) when extra money came our way we spent a little and invested the rest. We bought modest amounts of dividend paying stocks. When that first dividend comes in it is an awesome feeling.
drove the same car for 13 years and when we did buy it wasn't a Mercedes.
9) a big night out was take home chinese or pizza and a $1 movie
10) we refinanced when the rates were favorable.
11) We took vacations that we paid cash for

The results of this life style "living like so few do" are wonderful. When money concerns are removed from your life you will achive an inner peace that is better then any yoga session. Your focus changes, you feel in control. I grew up in a paycheck to paycheck house. If anything broke car, boiler or whatever it was a disaster. It was stressful, not healthy and took our focus off living and enjoying life. Now I spend my days pondering where and when to retire - the choices are endless.

I do not fear the layoff, dental bill or broken transmission. It is a great way to live. So when you feel a little discouraged think about the end game...It is so worth the discipline. I feel truly blessed.

My lunch Thursday was peanut butter and jelly whole wheat sandwich and a mug of chicken soup that I bought from home. The discipline never changes.

You should be proud! Keep up the good work a different kind of life awaits...
RayinPenn

“If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.”
― Mark Twain

dougmccoy

Postby dougmccoy » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:02 am

great job undertaker! congrats!
The ReCreation King!

Return to “Success Stories”