Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:37 pm

Post subject: Getting Out Of Debt
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:34 am 

It is finally Spring time here in sunny Summerville,SC. I am feeling really good after reading some positive info on this website. I am selling some stuff this week that got into debt in the first place, and I will be using the debt snow ball effect to get out of debt. Now that I know what to do, and I have a good idea of my true financial situation, I know that I will work my way out of this. One thing for sure I have cut up the credit cards, and I am avoiding debt like the plague. Debt to me is the worst four letter word anyone could ever use around me. I am 44 years old now, and I have a goal of having a piece of land paid for, and completely out of debt by age 50.

Good Luck,

Jimmy

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject: Re: Getting Out Of Debt
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:19 am 

Maybe you should post your revelations and stories in the fiscal fitness journals section.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:14 pm 

peachy wrote:
Maybe you should post your revelations and stories in the fiscal fitness journals section.

Agreed... it is a good way to track your progress and if you happen to falter (or think about faltering) they can whip you back in shape.

Peachy has knocked me around a time or two... and it was well deserved and appreciated.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:11 am 

Doh!
What happens in the journals, stays in the journals! :!: ha ha.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:57 am 

Jimmy,

Good for you on deciding to get out of debt! Have you considered ways to increase your income? This may help accelerate the process.

Good Luck!

Mike

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:38 pm 

yes i am playing online poker in my spare time i made a 100 investment and im up 25 so i play in my spare time, better than working at burger king.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:03 pm 

Hey Jimmy,

Be careful with the online poker. It's addictive and most people will lose. Eight players to a table an only ever one winner.

Back to finances though, make sure you keep your excitement to improve your finances up by continuing to learn tips on budgeting that will move you closer to your goals. Keep reading the threads here and learning from some of the more seasoned contributors.

Kombat and Doinghomework seam to know what they're talking about.

Good luck,

Business Relations Technologist
Angulus Marketing Ltd.
Blog http://www.howtomanagemoneytips.com

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 4:50 pm 

jimmygreenway75 wrote:
yes i am playing online poker in my spare time i made a 100 investment and im up 25 so i play in my spare time, better than working at burger king.

Money spent on online poker or any other gambling is NOT an investment. It is money spent for entertainment.

I go to Vegas every 2-3 years for a weekend and sometimes win a little but I would never call the money I spend an investment.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 4:24 am 

I've made over 60K playing online poker regularly over the last 7 years and personally know people who have got themselves seriously rich from poker and have never worked. It is however a very tough gig (and getting harder) and only a small percentage of players will be long-term winners. I don't encourage others to play for this reason, however personally I would have been in the gutter without poker so there is a warm spot for it in my heart :P

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 1:09 pm 

Vile,

If you are making good money playing online poker then that is great. But it is then a job, a source of income, still not an investment. I'm an engineer. The money I make from my job is not an investment, it is an income.

I do not see anything wrong with playing poker (though online poker has some issues in my opinion). Poker is a game of skill. I know that a skilled player can overcome the "luck" of the cards. If you are consistently winning then that is great. Most people however, myself included, can only do it for entertainment.

But as a source of entertainment, even my losing trips to Vegas every few years usually cost me less than a trip to Disneyland or Sea World!

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 12:16 pm 

I agree with DoingHomework, online poker is not an investment. Also at the low level tables, even if you are a genius player you're going to make well below minimum wage. Furthermore changes in the laws over the past few years have made it significantly harder to get your money out of the accounts, even for the legitimate online gambling sites (which most aren't!) And finally, the tax treatment of gambling is quite unfavorable.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:56 pm 

I can feel for you because I am saddled with financial aid debt but have managed to pay off most of my credit cards. Good initiative on destroying them.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:06 am 

That's a great effort and inspiring too, well done. Debt is a very easy habit to acquire because of all the 'nice' things money affords us but when it is not our money and we are spending our 'future' so to speak, it can be a heavy burden and hangs over our vision like a fog. Guess you felt very relieved once you made the decision to cut ties with debt. Well done.

Jo

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:01 am 

Good for you I am also cut my credit to get out of debt!

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 1:29 am 

I've gotten myself out of debt :)

It feels so damn good.

It wasn't that hard to be honest. All it took was time, the determination to pay it off and being frugal about my spending.

Offline Profile E-mail   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill, Fiscal Fitness Moderator Go to page 1, 2  Next