How this blog has helped me.

Have you paid off your debt? Managed to save for your dream home? Had an awesome investment pan out? Share your personal finance success stories here.

Moderators: lvergon, Fiscal Fitness Moderator

jasonn

How this blog has helped me.

Postby jasonn » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:42 am

My story isn't amazing. It's not about paying off a mortgage, or student loans, or making a few good investments, but rather how this blog has directly helped me financially. I recently moved out of my apartment and I took with me all of my possessions. Being a college student, I have been looking for ways to help supplement my part-time job, until I read a guest post on Get Rich Slowly. I had no idea about the seller programs offered by Amazon (and Half.com I later found out). Of course, I had dozens and dozens of CDs, video games, old paperback books, movies, etc. that hadn't seen use in years. Using a system very similarly described on the blog, I started listing all of these forgotten items. I was able to net over $200 in just a couple of months (and the post office was close enough that I could walk to ship everything out).

Along with these games and CDs and DVDs, I also had a large collection of sports cards and memorabilia from my hobbyist days in high school. I've been passively looking for a way to unload this collection for some cash for a long time, knowing that I would likely never have an interest in collecting them again. I brought the bulk of the collection to a trade show shortly after and found three dealers that were interested! I knew I wasn't going to get anywhere near the amount I would get if I broke the collection down and sold every little bit on eBay, but I didn't mind getting a lump sum and leaving that hard work to those that do it best. Within a couple of hours, I had decided on selling the collection to a dealer at the show (for almost twice as much as I was expecting!).

I have to thank Get Rich Slowly for opening my eyes to an easy and effective way to un-clutter and earn a bit of extra cash in the process!

alidaw4

Postby alidaw4 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:03 am

how neat! thanks for sharing!
Lowly Alida-Daughter of the High King, Wife to Huatzin The Noble Knight, Mother to 6 y.o. twins Elijah the Great & Canaan the Magnificent, Virtuous Princess Anaiah Grace 3, Josiah My little man of Valor (1)

Return to “Success Stories”