dcsimg The Get Rich Slowly Forums • View topic - will work (and save) for travel

GRS Home  Forum Home
Bank Rates Center
   Savings Account Rates
   Money Market Rates
   Highest CD Rates
Insurance Rates Center
  Auto           Health
   Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:08 pm

Post subject: will work (and save) for travel
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:21 am 

My biggest financial achievement was saving $17,000 in a year and a half after graduating from college. I was lucky enough to have parents who paid for half of my college. When I graduated from the University of Wisconsin-Madison in 2002, I was only $2000 in debt to them. I moved into a shared house where I paid only $300/month rent, got two jobs, and paid them back in 2 months. I worked an entry level job at a non-profit and then moonlighted catering weddings. For the last 7 months, I lived in my sisters’ basement for $200/month. I wasn’t living too austerely; I actually took a 2 week trip to Central Mexico that winter. But, I was careful with my spending. In March, I bought a one way ticket to Argentina and stayed abroad for the next 13 months, traveling all over South America and Central Europe. I returned with $5000, enough to set myself up while I job searched again.

Now I’m saving for my next extended foray abroad. So far I have $22,000 saved. But again, it's not like I'm sitting home counting my pennies. Last year I was in Central America for 6 weeks and this winter I’m going to India for a month. Oh, and I just returned from a two week trip in Istanbul, Bulgaria and Romania. People wonder how I can take such extensive vacations when I make so little at my non-profit and service jobs. The trick is to keep my expenses low, of course. My car is paid for and I drive it as little as possible. I buy clothes for cheap when I’m abroad. I don’t go out that much and when I do I don’t spend very much. Living simply and consciously allows me to splash out internationally. Plus, when I’m in developing countries everything is put in perspective. I don’t feel the need to keep up with the typical American lifestyle because I see how richly I live in comparison with a lot of the rest of the world. I know many compulsive spenders but I’m almost a compulsive saver. Every dollar I save here is worth a lot more literally in many other countries, but also figuratively to me as my memories are much greater shopping in a bazaar than the mall. I find it more interesting to be creative about spending less and getting more out of what I do spend.

Offline Profile   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1 post ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill, Fiscal Fitness Moderator