Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:17 am

Post subject: Spreading the Word
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:02 am 

I've always been a frugal person. Even when I was a kid and my mom would take my brother and I to the Dollar Store for a treat because we'd gotten good grades, I couldn't find anything in the store that I wanted more than that dollar.
So I guess my success story would have to be my boyfriend. When I met him we were in very different financial situations. I owned my own condo by researching the best deal for myself at the time, paid the balance of my credit cards every month, and was in the process of paying off my car in as little time as possible while establishing a savings account specifically for travel purposes.
He, on the other hand, was renting an expensive apartment and still racking up credit card debt that started his senior year of college, about $12,000 worth.
At first I thought his job paid very well, but then realized that he was a bit of a spend thrift, especially when it came to really good food and fine dining. So I told him about my frugal practices and how I couldn't stand unhealthy debt and we started eating in more often, cooking together, and spending more only for sushi, but limiting that to only once a week (we are avid fish-eaters).
Once we began to get serious, he decided he did not want us to start a life together in debt. I helped him research lower interest-rated credit cards and look into debt consolidation and to devise a monthly budget.
We are moving in together in a month (I'm selling my condo to a friend and avoiding realtor fees) to cut expenses more. He has refused any monetary help from me, but is looking forward to the day we are married so he can hand his finances over to me to continue working on Getting Rich Slowly.
It's definitely give and take though. He turned me to this blog and I've been learning and reading it for several months. Thanks for taking the time out of your day to spread the word about fiscal responsibility.

Offline Profile   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1 post ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill, Fiscal Fitness Moderator