dcsimg The Get Rich Slowly Forums • View topic - Tips on Buying a New Phone for Full Price?

GRS Home  Forum Home
Bank Rates Center
   Savings Account Rates
   Money Market Rates
   Highest CD Rates
Insurance Rates Center
  Auto           Health
   Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:57 am

Post subject: Tips on Buying a New Phone for Full Price?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:45 am 

Here's my deal: I am on a Tmobile plan where I pay $20 less per month than most other people because I'm not in a contract. That means if I want a new phone, I have to pay full price for it, which I'm fine with because over the two (or more) years I have the phone, I save more than the discount would be on a new phone.

Anyway, I've been scouring the web for a good place to find deals on "full-priced" phones but am having a hard time. Craigslist and Ebay are possibilities, but I was curious if other people out there have any thoughts.

And I'm talking smartphones here like the G2, Vibrant, MyTouch4G, etc.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject: Re: Tips on Buying a New Phone for Full Price?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:29 am 

How does not having a contract lower the monthly cost? That seems counterintuitive.

Anyways, in the past I have gotten "dumb" phones off both ebay and amazon. I tried craigslist but I couldn't find the exact phone I wanted in a location that was convenient for me, and there is also (IMHO) a higher risk of getting a stolen phone that way, with no way to get your money back.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject: Re: Tips on Buying a New Phone for Full Price?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:58 pm 

I'm also curious why you think you are paying $20 less than everyone else because you are not on contract. Until about 2 months ago I had been a T-mobile customer for 10+ years. Some of that time was under contract and some was of contract. I definitely got better rates by staying on. Basically my rates did not go up since 2003 because I stuck around with them. I was paying about $20 less a month than the current rate plans and I got more minutes than they gave other customers. But it wasn't for not being on contract, it was for loyalty.

The only reason I left was because they did not have the phone I wanted, the Droid X. So I switched to Verizon even though I pay a little more (though not much because I get a discount because of my employer).

In my experience T-mobile will give you a pretty good loyalty rate if you call them up and say you plan to switch. But they can't give you a phone they don't offer. If they have the phone you want there is a good chance you can get it free if you ask nicely and agree to a 2-yr contract. They offered me both a good rate and a free smart phone (Samsung) even though the website priced it at $199.

At $20 a month you are saving $480 over 2 years. Most of these phones sell for $500-$600 at full retail so it seems like you would have to find a stolen of refurbished phone to make this work.

Offline Profile E-mail   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill