Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:36 am

Post subject: For students
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:41 pm 

I was able to complete my BA in 3 years.

A student can take more than the 15 credits recommended.
the contingency is for the student to have a good GPA for obvious reason, if you can't handle 4 classes how are you gonna handle 6 classes.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:54 pm 

I took six years. During that time, I accumulated 3 years of work experience. As a result, I was three years ahead in experience when I graduated.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:04 pm 

7 years, worked half the year to afford school for the other half. Worked 30 hours a week during classes. On the plus side, while I robbed myself of a few years of income, I managed to escape with minimal debt.

I'm not sure how I managed to drink so much.

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:22 pm 

4 years...never had fewer than 2 jobs, one full-time and usually at least 2 part-time. (had no help from family to pay for college or any other expenses)

Graduated with 4 years management experience, and not 1 cent of debt.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:54 am 

I took 4 years. I didn't want to leave early for the reason that I think college is a wonderful learning experience. I mean, I have the rest of my life to work, why start earlier than necessary?

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:59 am 

Didn't want to leave early? I didn't want to leave. Hell, I want to win the lottery just so I can go back. :)

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:36 pm 

4 and a half years (I think I left those last 3 credits on purpose so I wouldn't have to leave for another semester :) ). I took eight years to get my masters while working full time and training for a spring and fall marathon every year. I don't dare start a PhD, or I'll never finish. :)

....o
^/v
/>

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:28 pm 

I guess this tip is for older student.

when I went back to school I was a non traditional student ( the kind that don't have to take Phys Ed because they're above 26 years old)
I went back to school 8 years after I dropped out of college, and decided to start over. so yeah it was planned I needed to get out of there as soon as possible.
we were able to live on 1 salary because my paycheck went to my tuition, so I graduated with experience and zero student loan
it was strictly business for me because I've had my college experience a while back.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:04 pm 
Site Admin

If you work for the federal government, odds are they'll foot the bill for additional training (read: college courses). I'm a part-time PhD student, and I'm helped out by an easier schedule and training assistance

Czar of GRS Forums.

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:13 pm 

4 years for my bachelor's and 4 years for my master's with plenty of jobs and internships along the way. I really struggled to finish off my master's degree, and it was partly due to the fact that I wasn't getting any offers from the places I really wanted to work. While finishing as soon as possible may have been better for my wallet, taking my time paid off in the end. I spent time improving my application to send to the companies, and I eventually got an offer from the company at the top of my list. The offer was too good to pass up, so I started the job and finished writing my thesis while working full time.

Everyone's timeline is different, and you just have to make what you think is the best decision for yourself. If I had finished my master's degree sooner, then I probably would have settled for the first job offer I got and maybe even given up on getting a job at the place I'm at now.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:53 pm 

i got my bsc in under 3 years. i got a lot of free classes due to tuition payment caps at 16 credit hours per semester. i lived life, i worked sometimes 3-4 jobs, and i studied my ass off. i started as a double major, and dropped one for time and sanity's sake. no way could i have pulled off any more credits than i did- as it was i fell 0.01 grade points shy of graduating with honors.

my master's took 2 years. i could have walked away then, but stayed on for the phd. i'm in year 5 of grad school now and should be done in spring. [cross fingers!] i'm paid to be here this time, but times are tight with me supporting both of us and the cost of healthcare. i can't take time off for internships, jobs, or other work experience. my contract lists 100% effort to dissertation research or support goes away. after long hours, it's all i can do to unwind and get enough sleep to get through the next day anyway.

husband went back to tech school for his aas in january at the age of 29. he worked through the prerequisites at the recommended pace because he was never any good at math and english and etc. this semester he is taking 25 credits for his major and flying through the material, we only had to pay for 16. we expect he will get all of his requirements done in may.

Offline Profile   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill