Fuelly

What small tips and tricks have you found that made a difference in your personal finance life? What great article did you just read? Found a great blog?

Moderator: lvergon

mskalinin

Fuelly

Postby mskalinin » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:13 pm

JD had blogged about fuelly recently and I got interested, especially because I was, at the time, about to embark on a pretty long road trip. Its really pretty neat to see the fluctuations in the fuel economy (I wonder if there is a link with the Ethenol additive?) and compare to other people. It became a bit of a game for my boyfriend and I to write all the stats down at every stop. Awesomely enough, out in Montana they had a sticker on every pump stating the percentage of state and federal tax that was taken XD

I think my fuel economy is pretty good because, first and foremost, I have an efficient car. But I also keep its tires inflated, I never use the air con. and I try to keep it as well-maintained as possible.

Check out my reports http://www.fuelly.com/driver/mskalinin/cobalt

Does anyone else use this?

nesterenes

Postby nesterenes » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:37 am

I've also started using Fuelly since the JD post. I like it for personal tracking.

Here's a tip: To track fueling, use text messaging to email. Most cell phones allow you to add an email address to a contact. Simply send a text message to the email contact and track it later. Works great and super easy!

mskalinin

Postby mskalinin » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:56 pm

I can't use text messaging because I don't have a cell phone.

Is this me being frugal, or is it me being anti-cell phone? A bit of both ^__~

dtr

Postby dtr » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:00 am

I just write down my mileage on the receipt, and then I have all the info I need (mileage, gallons, price, price per gallon, date)
DTR

Return to “Tips, Tricks, Links, Pointers”