5 second budget planner

What small tips and tricks have you found that made a difference in your personal finance life? What great article did you just read? Found a great blog?

Moderator: lvergon

nesterenes

5 second budget planner

Postby nesterenes » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:09 pm

Found this today courtesy of LifeHacker. Type in how much you earn, and it tells you how much you can afford to spend in each area (Home, Auto, Food, etc).

http://www.cnbc.com/id/26641187/

Interesting to compare their estimates vs actual. It was a little off for my needs, but if you're looking for a place to start, there ya go.

Paul Stagg

Postby Paul Stagg » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:52 am

Other than suggesting you save while you have debt, it seems reasonable.

Ryuns

Postby Ryuns » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:03 pm

The whole "debt" category is confusing. I could see spending 10% servicing debt being acceptable if you have student loans or you have old CC debt and now you're trying to get your stuff together. But having a debt category makes that seem like it's sustainable and acceptable and, with certain exceptions, I don't really agree.

Ryan

Chibioki

Postby Chibioki » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:36 am

I think that most the people who are looking for a budget generator have debt, so it makes sense to have a category for it. I don't think that people without debt would all of a sudden go into debt because there is a section for it. [I spend a lot less on transportation than the generator said i could it doesn't mean i'm going to go out and buy a new car.]

I think it would be useless to most people if it didn't have a debt category because most people have a debt [student loan, CC] and they wouldn't be able to use a budget that didn't take that into account. Once your out of debt you can put that 10% wherever you want.

moneyhoney

Postby moneyhoney » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:14 am

That is an awesome place to start. I am blowing it on the housing portion but making up in other areas.

It would be cool if you could enter your non-mortgage debt to tweak the numbers for you.

yoonoo

Postby yoonoo » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:20 pm

Thanks for sharing this link.

rhino

Postby rhino » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:54 am

eh, I think budge is a personal thing for most people.

For example, I don't spend 14% on transportation (it's more like 4%), nor do I spend 10% on debt (none other then mortgage).

Also a single guy is going to pay a lot less in food then a family of 4

but overall, it's pretty neat. I think you should be able to adjust the little things though so it works out to better reflect one's own personal situation. Also needs a category for investing (in addition to the one they have for savings). Also doesn't take into account retirement savings and health insurance, etc

Return to “Tips, Tricks, Links, Pointers”