Beans

What small tips and tricks have you found that made a difference in your personal finance life? What great article did you just read? Found a great blog?

Moderator: lvergon

Chibioki

Beans

Postby Chibioki » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:21 pm

Okay we all know beans are cheap. I buy dried beans because they are lighter and take up less space. but sometimes i don't plan ahead and therefore don't soak them overnight. I've heard that you can soften them up by boiling them for a few minutes and then letting them sit. But every time i do that the skin gets wrinkly and comes off.

Does anyone know what i'm doing wrong??? How do i stop them from wrinkling.

Cleverbeans

Postby Cleverbeans » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:34 pm

So you're calling me cheap?? I'm flattered! :twisted:

mld

Postby mld » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:45 pm

Mine do the same thing, I have no solution. I have heard if you make them often a pressure cooker is a good imvestment.

brad

Postby brad » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:16 pm

According to Mark Bittman of the NY Times, soaking isn't necessary for most dried beans, in fact he refers to it as one of the three big myths about beans (the other two being "don't add salt during cooking," and "don't add acid, such as vinegar, during cooking.")

For most beans, soaking reduces cooking time by 15-30 minutes, that's all, according to Bittman. He recommends that you stir them very gently, as if you were turning egg whites, to keep them from breaking apart.

You didn't say which kinds of beans you're cooking...the cooking time varies pretty widely. Chickpeas can take two hours or more, whereas red lentils take about 20 minutes. Since you mentioned skins coming off, I'm assuming you probably mean kidney beans or pinto beans?

Return to “Tips, Tricks, Links, Pointers”