Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:45 pm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:10 am 

I ordered Majic Jack and was very disappointed. I did eventually get a refund, but after some time. At the time I had my problems with a refund, I researched the company and found out that the Better Business Bureau showed that they had a rating of "F" because of numerous complaints.

I also found that several folks had posted unkind remarks about the company on YouTube.

Lesson learned - try to find out what others are saying before you order. Also, check out the Better Business Bureau's ratings.

Hope this helps!

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:28 pm 

Thanks there,they are really helpful in learning.

LOL :D

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:16 pm 

I think skype sounds interesting. To call other members, it's free. It's $3 a month to call cells and landlines. This includes free voice mail for when you are not online. I already have a microphone. If you are using Yahoo IM, you can make phone calls to other users free. All you need is a mic.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:43 am 

I work from home, and have used Vonage for my work line for over 3 years now - and love it. I haven't had any major issues, and have, in fact, had more problems with my land based phone (AT&T) or my now FIOS phone with Verizon.

That being said, I am seriously considering switching to Skype for our home phone (Verizon). It is expensive, in my opinion, and since I have a work line, my husband, myself and my son all have cell phones, I don't like paying as much as we do. My 2 oldest daughters use the phone alot, but I think they could handle Skype.

I didn't realize it is that cheap - I will have to check it out again.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:57 pm 

My friend recently ordered Magic Jack about 3 weeks ago. She was very excited about saving a lot of money. And, yes, she had to change her longtime phone number to a new one. After 2 & a half weeks of use she wrapped it back up & mailed it back to the Magic Jack people.
She had a lot of trouble with it. When she tried to call people many times the call would not go through. Then other times her calls would go through but the conversation by the person she was calling would break up a lot. I was almost going to order Magic Jack myself when she told me how much money she would save. But first I did some research, read some reviews from people who have used this device. About 60% said they had more trouble then it was worth.
Another thing; check with your phone company because periodically they will offer better prices rather then lose you as a customer.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:11 pm 

My girlfriend uses this program called Voip Discount. Basically it's similar to skype. You can call phones from your PC. I think the only difference is that you yourself cannot get a phone number. However, you put $10 on your account, and you get 120 free days of phone calls. Technically I think it's more like 300 free minutes per week. Then after that it costs your 1 cent per minute.

So that's way cheaper than skype. Quality wise the calls are just the same. So she's spent $10 and ends up talking to her friends and family from Thailand for a few hours each week for 4 months. It saves a lot.

Here's the link for it: http://www.voipdiscount.com/

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:08 am 
I use skype and its service is quite satisfactory. Never used magicjack but thanks for sharing it. I will try it once.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:11 pm 

Pretty soon:

voice.google.com

Ryan

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:37 am 

Magic Jack user for about 4 months now. 100% replaced my home phone line. It works well most of the time (80%), but I recommend it only for tech geeks, because it has had problem. I've managed to resolve most of them through online forums & troubleshooting.

I like it... but you need a very stable internet connection, a dedicated computer, and weekly maintenance to make it quality. Even then, some computer tweaking helps.

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject: Logistics question
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:23 am 

Hi.

Haven't used majicjack, or any of the others. In fact I've been hearing more and more about it that I'm thinking maybe I should.

I have a question about these types of communication. 'What happens if the person you want to speak isn't using the service. Can they still talk to you on a regular line, with their regular phone?

VOIP Newb,

Business Relations Technologist
Angulus Marketing Ltd.
Blog http://www.howtomanagemoneytips.com

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:31 am 

Yes. In theory, the person on the other end of the conversation isn't aware of the difference. MagicJack uses a normal phone, which plugs into a USB adapter into your computer. And cordless phones work fine. In fact I have 3 phones running off a single jack (1 base + 2 handsets).

In practice; I found myself asking every person I talked to if I sounded okay, if it was having problems, and to tell me if they couldn't hear me. Quality is a weekly issue (works awesome 80% of the time). With regular phone service, it's just a non-issue. But hey; it's the cheapest phone services out there, so you get what you pay for.

Don't get me wrong; I love my MagicJack and it's my only home phone system. I just recommend using with caution. Know what you're buying. Test it out for a few months before cutting the cord. If it works for you great. Otherwise, chalk it up to a low investment failed experiment.

For the record: MagicJack works for me.

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject: Magic jack is great
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:43 am 

I have to re plug the jack into the compute from time to time but it works fine. I hasn't replaced my cell phone but I have been able to reduce the plan that I use.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:38 pm 

So, MagicJack it's kinda Skype for people who are not friendly with computers? ;)

Offline Profile   
 Post subject: Re: Has anyone else used Magicjack?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:54 pm 

I haven't used MagicJack but do own a Skypeout number and use it very frequently for both home and business.

I forward my cell phone to my Skype number when I know I won't have good cell service but do have good internet service.

You can also use Skype on some smart phones as well if you have the data plans.

Linksys used to make a nice system that plugged into your router and uses a phone to make calls on. Much more friendly to use and you aren't tied down to your computer.

I think they are the future of telephones though only time will tell what we end up with.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject: Re: Has anyone else used Magicjack?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:56 pm 

I use Skype with the world wide calling plan. Paid annually, it's $140/year.

After putting the Skype client and VOIP unrestricter on my iPhone, I have unlimited call time to the U.S. and 40 other countries while roaming China. I will use my minutes/bandwidth where WIFI is not available but that's far cheaper than regular overseas calling plans. Skype-In number allows those in the U.S. to call me at no extra charge -- but I would have to leave Skype permanently running in the background sucking up battery while mobile so I just check the phone logs periodically.

Offline Profile   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill Go to page 1, 2  Next