dcsimg The Get Rich Slowly Forums • View topic - Has anyone else used Magicjack?

GRS Home  Forum Home
Bank Rates Center
   Savings Account Rates
   Money Market Rates
   Highest CD Rates
Insurance Rates Center
  Auto           Health
   Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:28 pm

Post subject: Re: Has anyone else used Magicjack?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:04 pm 

Yep, magicjack works fine for us. It uses the internet so if you are using it and somebody is playing games or downloading large files, the quality will not be good.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:49 am 

This thread is probably dead but I must say that the marketing people for MagicJack did a terrible job with those commercials. They make the product seem like a scam, which is why I wrote about them for Wisebread (http://www.wisebread.com/is-magicjack-a-scam).

But this seems to be one of those cases where the product actually delivers on its promise. It's a cheap way to make calls and that's all it is, which means it's great for a lot of people.

It's like the people that made their commercials are the same people behind the Snuggie ones, which in their case is brilliant because it's just a stupid blanket. But with a tech product like this...it doesn't work so well.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:40 am 

It's ok, people seem to post to this thread every once in a while.

I don't use MagicJack but my father does. I only call him a couple times a year, but when I do the call quality seems decent enough.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:15 am 

I think it depends on how you view your phone service.

I consider phone service to be a life critical resource. I won't do anything that may result in me needing to place a 911 call at 3AM during a power failure and not getting dial tone. So far ONLY traditional land line works for that, at least in my area.

Cell phones work for many people, but coverage is so spotty where I live that I don't even bother turning my phone on at home (if I do, the battery dies in a few hours). And I have experienced power failures of > 2 days where the cell towers started to run out of diesel and go down. Landlines do not go down; they keep about a week worth of diesel on hand and even in extreme power failures, they will truck in diesel to keep the switching stations up.

I actually use Google Voice so I don't pay a dime even if I spend all day talking long distance (domestic) and if I ever called internationally, it's 1 or 2 cents a minute to most countries. But it uses my standard land line. Google Voice is kind of nice in that it gives me pretty much all the features I could ask on a bare-bones phone line - I don't even have to pay for caller ID, I pick up the phone and their computer tells me who's calling, and I press 1 to pick up and 2 to send them to voice mail (it'll go to voicemail on its own otherwise). Also I can see records of every inbound and outbound call, and they transcribe (speech to text) voicemails and email (or SMS) them to me.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:36 am 

Google's on-line Call phone offers free long distance in North America for 2011 - I've used it, and it works great. No set-up fee, you just have to sign up for a Google account (gmail).

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:21 pm 

You can use a combination of sipgate.com and google voice to produce a completely free phone service.
http://lifehacker.com/#!5349506/make-free-voip-calls-from-google-voice

Sipgate is free for incoming calls. If you sign up for google voice and get the free phone number and then link it to your sipgate number people who call will be routed to your sipgate phone. Outgoing calls are made from google voice w/sipgate, call is initiated from google voice, forwards to your sipgate phone (which considers it an incoming call and is therefore free), you pick up your sipgate phone, and then call is forwared to party you actually want to talk to.

It's a little confusing, but once it's set up it works OK. I had problems with sipgate softphone on windows 7 and downloaded mizuphone light as a replacement software; however, the service remains through sipgate, it's just different software.

I've had a little trouble with this method, but it definitely works. The other sweet thing is that you can set up google's voicemail and have transcriptions of voicemail and text messages sent to your email.

I hope that helps someone.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:48 pm 

I wouldn't recommend it. Skype and Google Voice are user friendly and cost-effective enough.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:43 am 

I use Google Voice for my business lines and I bought this device from Obihai that allows me to use any landland handset. Everyone who uses the phone at the office thinks it's just a regular phone line. The box is $40 and the Google Voice service is free.

Apparently you can also set it up where if you're out of the country, you can make calls to the US for free.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:31 am 

psst....for $20 (one time payment) you can keep your old phone number and have calls forwarded thru google voice.

"If you only have 1 year to live, move to Penn...as it will seem like an eternity."

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:46 pm 

I have family that uses MagicJack as an alternative to a landline. It seems to work okay.

I also have family that use MagicJack overseas (outside the USA). We can call each other as if it were local calls. Very useful. Skype is also a great alternative since it provides video feed.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:16 pm 

Yes I tried using magic jack, my friend convince me to use so I try and happy and affordable to use, you also need an internet access no payments needed it is free.

Offline Profile E-mail   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill Go to page Previous  1, 2