dcsimg The Get Rich Slowly Forums • View topic - Can anyone..?

GRS Home  Forum Home
Bank Rates Center
   Savings Account Rates
   Money Market Rates
   Highest CD Rates
Insurance Rates Center
  Auto           Health
   Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:55 pm

Post subject: Can anyone..?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:10 am 

Can anyone help me by telling some super tips..?
Pls consider I am a fresh candidate and I am going to prepare my first resume...

Thanks in advance...!

alex45

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:17 am 

The best advice I can give you is to have people who do hiring review and proofread your resume. If you can get three or four people who've had experience hiring others to look at your resume and critique it you're bound to get some really good feedback.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:31 am 

The look and length of your resumé will greatly depend on the sort of job you are applying for.

I am a graphic artist so resumés in my field are drastically different then most.

Keep the look clean and simple. Make sure there are no typos. And make sure the cover letter is always tailored to the job you are applying for. My cover letter changed, and I highlight different experiences I've had based on the company I am applying to.

I think writing a thank you letter to everyone who interviews is important as well. Don't be afraid to write down names or ask for business cards. Good luck.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:54 am 

First impressions count. Please don't use a Word template for "resumes". Just type it in yourself to look nice.

Make it clean and easy to read. Bullets are nice. Bold the titles of your previous positions.

Numbers are good, too. If you can quantify any results, it will jump out.

And as soon as I see a typo in a resume, I toss it. When there's too many applicants, that's a super quick way for me to weed out a few. As many eyes as you can get to proof your resume, do it. It will be worth it.

Cover letters and thank you notes go a long way. They say you go above and beyond. If we love two candidates, and a thank you note comes in the mail while we're sitting around debating, guess who gets the job.

eta: And please don't put irrelevant "hobbies" on the bottom. We don't care if you collect stamps or love cats or are a transvestite. Keep it professional.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 2:37 am 

Keep in mind that you need to impress the employer, or the reader of your resume.. It doesn't mean that to impress your employer, you need to write things that you don't really do... :shock: So you need to keep it clean and professional with proper use of language and correct spelling... you don't need to put unnecessary hobbies, Skills, etc. Make them want to have you as one of their worker, be prepared to answer what you have written on your resume, so in short, you need to put only the important factual information about you, so you can answer them...

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:51 am 
Here are some useful tips while preparing resume

1)Don't overcrowd your resume; allow for plenty of white space.
2)Keep your resume to one page whenever possible.
3)Keep the number of fonts you use to a minimum -- two at the most.
4)Use a font that is easy to read. Times Roman works well.
5)Do not justify the lines of type on your resume. Allow the right side of the page to "rag."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:54 am 

sandyandry wrote:
Here are some useful tips while preparing resume

1)Don't overcrowd your resume; allow for plenty of white space.
2)Keep your resume to one page whenever possible.

I hope the OP has found a job and is building wealth slowly.

the OP mentioned being fresh, and advisor at one's school's Career Service is always a good starting point.

SandyAndry,

like Graphicgeek said above the resume's look can be industry specific, I'm in IT and after listing the applications you're proficient with and the ones you have experience with and back it up with achievements, you barely have space to list more that 3 position this makes the one page resume hard to achieve thankfully we can submit them electronically.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:06 am 

The original poster looks suspiciously like a spammer to me...

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:47 am 
Site Admin

Probably, but I edited it so its not so spammy

Czar of GRS Forums.

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:29 am 

The best advice I've heard is
Keep it short - Keep it simple

If the posting is popular, there will be a lot of candidates. You'll be lucky if your resume even gets read. If it does, the decision maker will appreciate being able to get to the important info quickly. So only put the important info on.

I've also heard of people developing a professional looking personal website or blog. You can put a video resume/bio on there of yourself and also track your continuing education activities.

Set yourself apart and network with people who are already successful and associate with business owners or executives. It's easier to get an interview when you know someone or someone you know recommends you..

Good luck,

Business Relations Technologist
Angulus Marketing Ltd.
Blog http://www.howtomanagemoneytips.com

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:01 am 

When I was your age before, I always think of something that is catchy to make my resume look more effective in my application for certain companies. Later then I realized, all it takes was just to put it simple and should sound honest. Not that I put anything under the sun. But at least would give a good impression of my personality. If you will be lucky enough to get an interview, that's the time to express more your interest in learning for the job you are applying for. Good Luck :D

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:48 pm 

As others have noted, what constitutes a "good" or "effective" resume varies from field to field.

But the following rules have never failed me:

1. Avoid the "obituary style" resume that lists all your jobs in chronological order. Instead, organize your resume by skill set or responsibilities. Sometimes that means listing the same job twice, if your job's duties and your experience fell into more than one of the skill set categories you've created. Nothing wrong with that. Most employers are looking for people with specific skills and experience. Your work history is less useful than a description of your experience, organized by skill area (e.g., management, grant writing, editing, teaching, etc.) I usuall tailor my resume and adjust the highlighted skills according to what the employer is looking for.

2. Ignore the one-page rule. I've almost always had a two-page resume (one sheet of paper printed front and back), and sometimes expand that to three or four pages for jobs where it's worth listing my publications. Nobody ever told me I didn't get a job (or an interview) because my resume was too long. And if someone rejects my resume because it's more than one page, I wouldn't want to work for someone so narrow-minded anyway, so the selection process works both ways.

3. Avoid the dreaded "goal statement" (e.g., I seek a job that will utilize my 10 years of experience in product development....etc.). Almost everyone's goal statement sounds the same, and I doubt any employers actually read them. Cut to the chase and describe your experience.

4. Write a great cover letter. Most people treat the cover letter as an afterthought, and put in the usual general platitudes. If you want to get noticed, write a strong cover letter. When I was hiring people, we read all the cover letters, and often the cover letter was the deciding factor in terms of who we invited to come in for an interview. I myself got an interview (and ultimately got the job) based on my cover letter. I was changing careers, and my resume by itself wasn't very convincing since I had hardly any experience. So instead I wrote a strong cover lettter outlining how I planned to approach the job, and it happened to align perfectly with how the employer was envisioning the job. They invited me in and I got the job that launched my new career.

5. If the ad says "no phone calls, please," don't call. Some employment books tell you to ignore those notices and call, because it shows you really, really want the job and are going to be proactive about following up. But just keep in mind that it can backfire too: when I was hiring and we put those "do not call" notices in the ads, anyone who called got their resume dumped in the recycling bin with a note "does not follow directions" scribbled across the top.

Offline Profile   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill