Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:34 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tips to Save Money
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:26 am 

Today I called and asked my credit card company to waive the yearly $85 membership fee. I explained that I was a good customer who paid off the card every month, used the card for $A to $A+ per month, and was considering closing the account if the fee was not waved. I was told by the assoicate there was nothing that could be done. I asked to speak to a manger or supervisor. The supervisor waived the fee. Best 4 minutes I've spent today.

For kicks and giggles I went a step further. I recently had a wire transfer and was charged a $15.00 fee by my bank. I called my branch manager and she gladly refunded the charge. It took less than 2 minutes.

6 minutes and $100 dollars back in my pocket. It's going to be a good day.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:54 am 

Eagle wrote:
Today I called and asked my credit card company to waive the yearly $85 membership fee. I explained that I was a good customer who paid off the card every month, used the card for $A to $A+ per month, and was considering closing the account if the fee was not waved. I was told by the assoicate there was nothing that could be done. I asked to speak to a manger or supervisor. The supervisor waived the fee. Best 4 minutes I've spent today.

For kicks and giggles I went a step further. I recently had a wire transfer and was charged a $15.00 fee by my bank. I called my branch manager and she gladly refunded the charge. It took less than 2 minutes.

Why were you paying an $85 annual fee to begin with?

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:51 am 

Tightwad wrote:
Eagle wrote:

I signed up for a card that gave me 40,000 bonus miles if you spend X in the first 3 months. It also gives me 1 mile per $1 dollar spent. I'm thinking of looking in an AMEX card with 2 miles to $1.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:45 pm 

Tightwad wrote:

If you can get the fee waived why not? Though, it does call into question if the $85 was really "saved" or it's rather an amount was earned that is the benefit of the card over the best non-fee card Eagle could have gotten (if less than the fee).

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:51 am 

stannius wrote:
Tightwad wrote:

If you can get the fee waived why not? Though, it does call into question if the $85 was really "saved" or it's rather an amount was earned that is the benefit of the card over the best non-fee card Eagle could have gotten (if less than the fee).

I've gotten the fee waived 2 years in a row now... with about 60-70k miles. Going to FL this December should cost about 50-60k miles. Fun stuff.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:52 am 

Anyone else have any tips?

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:46 am 

My partner and i additionally football and also have subscribed in order to MLB. tv which is excellent. My partner and i have no idea of where did they by pass the particular blackout rules yet it has been this way during the last couple of years. It's excellent.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:03 am 

masud12 wrote:
My partner and i additionally football and also have subscribed in order to MLB. tv which is excellent. My partner and i have no idea of where did they by pass the particular blackout rules yet it has been this way during the last couple of years. It's excellent.

Hi. :hai:

It is unclear what you mean. Possible to re-type this please?

Are you saying you have free football (assuming NFL) and MLB channels that haven't been blacked out? :^)

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:04 pm 

Wow! Great list! Thanks for sharing!

I just did 6d! I started by just listing (in excel) the items I bought at Sams. I never knew how much toilet paper costs. I hope this list will help. My hope is that when our grocery fund is running low, I can price out my shopping trip to pick up the absolute necessities.

I really wish I could get rid of cable or at least get a basic + package. Hubby will not let go of this.

Tips on buying a deep freezer. Our local Lowes/Home Depot has a damaged goods section. They mark down appliances by a few hundred just because it has scratches/dents. Seriously?!?!? I'm just going to stick it in the basement anyways, no one is going to care about a few scratches. I passed up a 20 cu ft deep freezer for $250 (retail $700). Ugh! Wish I would have bought it!

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:32 am 

Pisces1305 wrote:
Tips on buying a deep freezer. Our local Lowes/Home Depot has a damaged goods section. They mark down appliances by a few hundred just because it has scratches/dents. Seriously?!?!? I'm just going to stick it in the basement anyways, no one is going to care about a few scratches. I passed up a 20 cu ft deep freezer for $250 (retail $700). Ugh! Wish I would have bought it!

Good point, seriously. But will the capital cost of the freezer and the expenses of running it pay off over the next few years in savings by buying things cheaply when there are sales? i

That is a serious question and not a criticism. I recently moved to a place where I have seen prices on some items fluctuate buy 2-3 times in a matter of weeks because of supply and seasonality. This has been quite surprising to me!

On the contrary I have seen great deals on freezers in the last 20 years and never though one was worth it because I never saw much need to store stuff for price variation.

Before you decide the price of a deep freeze is good you should analytically determine that the expense for one is worthwhile in terms of savings on buying groceries.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:00 am 

DoingHomework wrote:
Pisces1305 wrote:

Good point, seriously. But will the capital cost of the freezer and the expenses of running it pay off over the next few years in savings by buying things cheaply when there are sales? i

That is a serious question and not a criticism. I recently moved to a place where I have seen prices on some items fluctuate buy 2-3 times in a matter of weeks because of supply and seasonality. This has been quite surprising to me!

On the contrary I have seen great deals on freezers in the last 20 years and never though one was worth it because I never saw much need to store stuff for price variation.

Before you decide the price of a deep freeze is good you should analytically determine that the expense for one is worthwhile in terms of savings on buying groceries.

This is a good point Pisces. Yes, having a deep freezer can be beneficial. We actually got the people who we bought the house from to leave theirs. We have enjoyed buying things in bulk (meets, vegetables, ice cream, etc) when they are on sale. Another idea is to encourage family/friends to instead of gifts give you money to go towards buying a deep freezer. I guess it depends on if you celebrate birthdays and/or Christmas for example.

I do agree with DoingHomework it is important to evaluate how long it would take to "break even" much less start turly saving when buying a deep freezer.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:06 am 

Pisces1305 wrote:
Wow! Great list! Thanks for sharing!

I just did 6d! I started by just listing (in excel) the items I bought at Sams. I never knew how much toilet paper costs. I hope this list will help. My hope is that when our grocery fund is running low, I can price out my shopping trip to pick up the absolute necessities.

I really wish I could get rid of cable or at least get a basic + package. Hubby will not let go of this.

Welcome to the forums Pisces! Sure no problem! I like to pass on helpful information to others.

As far as groceries go do you have an Aldi's locally? They're a lot smaller grocery retailer but they have good products. They carry their own brands. We used to buy a lot at Aldi's when we were trying to get out of debt. Either way comparing prices is important. Walmart (if you don't mind shopping there) usually price matches their competitors too.

Yeah, the cable/satelite bill is a big one particularly for guys (sports). I've given up having that in order to put my family's needs first. Not to mention playing with my children (who are very young) or hanging/talking with my wife is a bigger priority in this season of our lives. It's really a question of priorities I guess. Perhaps once I get a promotion at work we'll revisit the budget and this idea particularly sports.

We use Netflix ($8 per month) and Amazon Prime ($85 per year) instead.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:13 am 

This may be more regional, but in my area you can buy a whole (or half) cow (or pig) direct from the farmer and have it butchered/processed to your liking. In the end you end up paying less than $1 per pound.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:25 pm 

bpgui wrote:
This may be more regional, but in my area you can buy a whole (or half) cow (or pig) direct from the farmer and have it butchered/processed to your liking. In the end you end up paying less than $1 per pound.

Nice bpgui... Mind if I add that to the list? 8)

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:26 pm 

A freezer has an up front cost (or if you prefer, a depreciation cost over time) and an annual cost (electricity to run it).

Do keep in mind that a deep freezer does not prevent things from getting freezer burnt. My understanding is that food in a freezer is safe more or less indefinitely (don't quote me on that!), but it's likely to fall below acceptable quality in 3 to 6 months. Unless you happen to like meals and/or ingredients that freeze well, it's possible that your regular freezer holds as much as you could consume in that time.

My mother got a deep freezer to hold her great sale deals but all it ever seemed to hold (from my teenaged perspective) was freezer burnt loaves of bread from the already-stale (day old) rack.

Offline Profile   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next