Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:37 pm

Post subject: Almost passive income
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:50 pm 

Last month, whilst surfing around the internet, I stumbled upon a guy who was using on-line sites to supplement his income. My initial thought: "no way". But, just a few more minutes of reading and googling and I decided I was going to give a few of these sites a try.

A quick background on my requirements and other important factors; I am a single Dad, I don't have a lot of free time. (i.e. fiverr, mturk, etc) And, I already have a $trong internet connection.

Over the past month, I gave three a try. Here is what I tried and what the results were for me?

The worst: Swagbucks
Idea: Use their web and mobile apps to search, take surveys/polls, watch videos and view offers.
Comments: Lots of interaction on a daily basis to gain points. A metric *bleep* ton of spam emails after signing up to try to increase my rewards. All that for very little money.
Rewards: Nothing. I am a few points shy of a $5 GC.
Bottom-line: Too much work and annoying spam for not enough money. Frankly, I gave up on this a little after week of use.

Bing Rewards
Idea: Use the Bing web and mobile apps to search for what ever you want.
Comments: I have used Google since the 90s. Bing's results are different. But, nothing wrong with them. I have enjoyed the mobile search tool because you can just shake your phone and it will return some of the top trending searches. This counts towards your rewards balance.
Rewards: Nothing yet. I don't use it daily. Close to a $5 GC.

The undisputed winner: PerkTV
Idea: Use Perk's web and mobile apps to search the web, watch videos and view offers.
Comments: Amazingly simple! I did buy four smartphones (yes, you read that right. don't get discouraged, I will write more below) in order to maximize my "earnings". PerkTV requires very little effort and you get a very substantial return.
Rewards: $95 in Amazon GCs this month! After learning the system and working out my "kinks", I am up to ~$25/6 days!
Bottom-line: PerkTV is an absolute NO BRAINER for me. Super easy to use, huge payouts.

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject: Re: Almost passive income
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:53 pm 

My lessons learned from setting up PerkTV.

TL/DR; Here's how you can make over $100/mo in gift cards using Perk.
1) Install PerkTv on up to 5 devices per person (Android 4.0 or higher/iPhone 3G or higher)
2) Install Perk Wallet
3) Watch and rate videos on the devices
4) Log into the PerkTV website do RadiumOne videos and surveys
5) Cash out using Perk Wallet when you points get to 24,250
6) Use tokens to enter sweepstakes

The details:

You download the PerkTV app on your device(s). Create an account (I just used my Facebook account). In the PerkTV menu, set the video quality to low bandwidth. Select what type of videos to watch. The videos then run for the next 4.5 hours straight with 15 to 30 second ads in between. After 4.5 hours, the videos stop, a button comes up "Are you still watching?", click that and the videos keep going. In the US, every 2 videos watched is worth 4 points. 5,000 points is worth a $5 gift cards.

In between each video, there is an 8 second period where you can rate the video as either "like" or "dislike", this earns you 50 Perk tokens. These can be redeemed as "tickets" to PerkTV sweepstakes. An example would be, for 2000 tokens, you can enter a chance to win a $25 gift card. I have not done this yet, but, from what I've read, the odds of winning are no high.

Each person over 13 that resides in your house may have up to 5 devices that can run PerkTV. Unfortunately for me, I'm the only one who's over 13 in my house! Say you are a couple of DINKS, you can run 10 devices (5 per account). From what I understand, Perk will eventually ask you for ID to prove you are not violating the terms of service. So, DINKS...that's atleast $200/mo for you!

I started by using my personal cell phone (iPhone) and my old iPad. While looking on the PerkTV subreddit, I found a post about cheap pre-paid cell phones. These are fantastic to use for Perk because you do not need to activate them or sign up for a contract. You buy the phone, bring it home, turn on airplane mode, connect to your wifi, download PerkTV and start watching videos. It acts like a mini tablet. The first phone I bought cost $20. The next three phones were on clearance at Walgreens for $7.99! Within two weeks of "perking", I had recovered the cost of my new phones.

I believe Target has a phone on sale now for $9.99 and somebody mentioned you can sell the SIM on ebay for $5! There always seems to be a good deal somewhere! Or, maybe your family or friends has an older phone that they aren't using that you could buy for cheap. Just make sure it can run PerkTV first!

Speaking of costs, I already have a good internet package, that is a requirement because of all the videos you are going to be streaming. So, I'm not paying anything above and beyond what I would have otherwise. And then there is the electricity costs to keep these phones running...Well, somebody measured the actual KWs used by their phones and came up with somewhere around $20 a year to keep 5 phones charged up. One final cost to note is the taxes. If you redeem over $600/yr, Perk will send you a 1099. So, that will reduce the overall value.

As far as the rewards go, you can either get gift cards to any number of stores, or Paypal for "real" cash. Unfortunately, the Paypal payout is only about 75% the value of gift cards. I shop a lot on Amazon, so I just go for Amazon GCs. The gift cards are emailed to you on a set schedule based on when you request the payout. PerkTV pays out every 2 or 3 days and can immediately applied to your account.

You will want to download the Perk Wallet app. If you wait to redeem your rewards until you are at 24,250 points, you will get a $25 gift card. That is a 3% savings over the normal 5,000 points/$5 rate.

To maximize your points, the "App trailers" are typically much shorter (~30 seconds) to watch than "Movie trailers" (~2 minutes).

One other easy way earn credits is to log onto the Perk website, mouse over "Quick Points", click "Special Offers", click "RadiumOne", sort by "low to high" and watch all of the 16 and 20 point videos available. There are also 16 point surveys and a few higher point value offers where you just have to click thru an ad or view coupons.

There are many other higher point offers, I avoid these. First of all, the amount of spam I received when I signed up for similar offers on Swagbucks is a major turn off for me. Secondly, I did download one of the games to try out. In addition to the game, it installed adware in my browser that took me 30 minutes to figure out how to remove. That pissed me off! So, I just avoid all of those higher point offers.

Final thoughts:
A lot of your internet bandwidth gets used for PerkTV. As I mentioned earlier, make sure to set the video quality to low in the PerkTV app to save on bandwidth. I'm on Cox and have a data cap of 300Gb/mo. I will go over that allotment for the next reporting period. According to Cox and Cox users, I will receive an email warning me of high use. Nothing will happen unless I use "excessive" amounts and am considered an "extreme" case. I don't expect to have any issues with this. But, as I'm relatively new to PerkTv and going over my data cap, I just don't know how it will play out yet.

Based on posts in the PerkTV subreddit, there are more than a few people who have violated the Perk ToS to make a few extra bucks. Kinda blows my mind. Everything I posted above, as I understand it is within their Tos (as of today, 11/11/14). And, it is very generous, why try to game the system?!? Oh well...before you try an idea to make more rewards, read the ToS and view the subreddit.

Things I've seen that get people banned:
More than 5 phones per account.
Using automated tools to continuously watch videos.
Constantly ending videos early to get the points.
Running PerkTV from more than one location. They track by IP address.
Setting up VMs as devices.
Using a VPN.

Good luck!

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:22 pm 

Downloaded it thanks to you! I've made a big 4.6 cents so far :)

Based off the end of your last post, I guess it would be a problem if I streamed it on my phone while at work and at home using other devices? Bummer...

Do you know of any issues with using different types of apps simultaneously? Meaning, the Chrome extension on my desktop, the android app on my kindle (android), and the app on my iPhone?

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:17 pm 

Lis wrote:
Downloaded it thanks to you! I've made a big 4.6 cents so far :)
Don't worry...it'll add up!

Lis wrote:
Based off the end of your last post, I guess it would be a problem if I streamed it on my phone while at work and at home using other devices? Bummer...
I believe it may not be a problem to stream at home. Then, take it to work and stream again. Streaming at home and work at the same time would be a problem. But, I don't risk it. I just run it at home.

Lis wrote:
Do you know of any issues with using different types of apps simultaneously? Meaning, the Chrome extension on my desktop, the android app on my kindle (android), and the app on my iPhone?
This is still a little fuzzy to me. As I understand it, Perk allows you to have 5 devices per app. I consistently run PerkTv on my five devices while watching videos under the RadiumOne section in my browser.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:25 pm 

A couple more quick thoughts:

1) Rating videos resets the 4.5 hour time. Rate videos.
2) If you are using your regular cell phone, make sure it is connected to wifi. You will quickly go over on your cell provider's data. Unless of course, you have unlimited.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:56 am 

Bummer, they updated the software last weekend. "Are you still watching?" now comes up every 2 hours instead of every 4.5. It requires a bit more babysitting. Still, great way to get some extra money.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:49 am 

I have never heard of PerkTV. Think I will try this!

Offline Profile E-mail   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill