dcsimg The Get Rich Slowly Forums • View topic - How to keep your DESIRE burning?

GRS Home  Forum Home
Bank Rates Center
   Savings Account Rates
   Money Market Rates
   Highest CD Rates
Insurance Rates Center
  Auto           Health
   Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:50 am

Post subject: How to keep your DESIRE burning?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:33 pm 

When we start to get involved in something new, be it investing in stocks or starting a business, we have an abundant supply of enthusiasm, excitement and desire. However, as time passes, you gathered the knowledge you needed, you did what you could have done and then your previous excitement, desire and enthusiasm dwindled abit, Didn't it? You have had time not only to see the negatives, you've also had time to dwell on them, time to let these negatives influence your actions. Your gain of knowledge merely matched your loss of enthusiasm, and balanced your performance out to about average.

So how do we motivate ourselves in order to keep the passion burning? There are a few motivators.

1)Money. Tell yourself money is good. All money can do is to give you opportunities to explore what will make you happy.
2)Security. Security is something bought with money. Without money, you can't buy whatever you want and you will feel insecure.
3)Achievement. Dream of being the top 5% of the world and reach out for the greatness that's inherent in all human beings.
4)Love of family. When you succeed, you can give your family whatever they want.
5)Acceptance by others. Think of the acceptance level by others when you have succeeded in life. Everyone wants to be around you. Everyone respects you.

While we may motivate ourselves by using the motivators mentioned aboved, we must also eliminate the demotivators which caused us to produce mediocre results. They are:

1)Fear of failure and losing security.
2)Self Doubt.
3)Pain of change. Just remember this: The pain of every change is forgotten when the benefits of that change are realized.

That's just my two cents' worth. Anymore tips on how to keep your desire burning?

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:08 am 

I have to constantly be reading or listening to audio about the subject I'm interested in. Either that or something motivational. Otherwise, I can quickly lose focus.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:26 pm 

I think finding a like minded group of people who are trying to do the same thing is key.

For entrepreneurs, other people that are struggling with the same issues and making the same mistakes.

For bloggers, other bloggers.

For people getting out of debt, other people that are getting out of debt or have already gotten out of debt.

etc.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:45 pm 

kmull wrote:
I think finding a like minded group of people who are trying to do the same thing is key.

For entrepreneurs, other people that are struggling with the same issues and making the same mistakes.

For bloggers, other bloggers.

For people getting out of debt, other people that are getting out of debt or have already gotten out of debt.

etc.

+1

Offline Profile   
 Post subject: Re: How to keep your DESIRE burning?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:22 am 

Hello Everyone, first time here and could not resist to post to this thread. For me to keep the desire burning when it came to paying off debt is that I would keep a little cash around the house (emergency money). When I was tempted not to pay extra toward the balance I would grab that cash for play / visualization time. I would count the amount going to the payment, from that I would subtract the amount going to interest and throw the interest portion in the garbage can for a visual.

Yes I would dig it back out but while looking at the cash in the trash I would think about how many hours / days I had to work to earn the cash in the trash. Each time I did this I also imagined not having to write a check for any of it.

That would help every time I felt the desire start to wain. I learned to stay away from the malls which was a tremendous help in keeping more of my money to pay down debt. Now debt fee from credit card and car loans. Then able to save a large amount for a downpayment for my dream house and more than enough to avoid pmi and have a years worth of living expenses I looked great to the bank which in turn allowed me to get the best loan terms available.

Now working on my mortgage doing the same thing. Its depressing to see hundreds of dollars in the garbage can and think about how many days I had to work for the cash in the trash. The checkbook comes out, I pay more than is due and the next month the amount that I throw in the can is less but still enough to get the checkbook out and on and on.

Its a visual thing and if anyone saw me doing it they would think I was crazy but this is what anyone with debt is doing for real. I hope this helps someone, it worked for me

The best part of this (before my mission to pay off house) was that once my debt was paid off I had enough money to pay cash for things I wanted. That felt great. Mortgage... your out of here asap!

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:56 pm 

Yeah, Shaun is right. Listening to motivational audios and reading motivational books really helps a lot. But the trick to doing that is to do it everyday, not just once a week or once every 2-3 days.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:23 pm 

I agree, motivational audio is a great way to keep you going. I always tell my self that discipline is key. You just really have to want it bad. And what I mean by "it" is the desire to want to succeed. What I tend to do for motivation is either by reading a good book or listening to some motivational-success stories. Wheather its waking up early in the morning to get a nice workout in or just getting through my day at work.

Im a young guy who really wants to be successful in life, I recommend videos from Muscle Prodigy. You can search them up on youtube. Great motivational videos not just on muscle fitness but also about success throughout any obstacles.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:32 am 

I love the points you have made. Thank you for posting this.

For me, I just have to keep reminding myself why I started freelancing - to do what I enjoy doing, which is online marketing and working with the client one-on-one. I enjoy watching my client's business succeed before my eyes.

As long as I am able to see progress in my work, that motivates me to do more, and ultimately makes me happy.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:00 am 

What I do is set measurable goals and constantly track the progress and imagine the outcomes.

Offline Profile E-mail   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill