Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:33 pm

Post subject: A New Baby Checklist – What You’ll Need!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:51 am 

I made this list a while back and thought I'd share. If you're pregnant (or your wife's pregnant) here's some things I'd wish I'd known sooner than later.

First Get on a budget.

Second budgeting for maternity clothes is a must. It will help your wife’s well-being and help ease the changes coming with the pregnancy. I hear for women too it is a big stress reliever and it is fun. Perhaps looking for friends/family/church who have maternity clothes already would be a good start?

Third if you don't already have one start an Emergency Fund. Emergencies will always happen. Best to be prepared. Also a good idea independent on if pregnant or not to start a Baby Savings Fund.

Fourth a list of questions:

I. A couple of preliminary questions to think about:

A) What other debts do you have?

B) How much is your Emergency Fund? I would imagine 3-6 months of expenses would be a good place to be at to be considered “fully funded.” Maybe more depending on your comfort level.

C) Do you plan on using a mid-wife or a doctor/hospital?

D) How many baby showers do you think you’d have? (i.e. family, friends, church, other?)

E) Is your family planning on contributing major items (Crib, Car Seat, Mattress, etc.) or will you have to pay for that yourself?

F) Will you be decorating a room? If so you will need paint, decorations, etc.

G) Assuming you have insurance how much will your co-insurance/deductibles be? Don’t forget you pay a deductible for Mommy AND Baby.

Fifth a list of baby items…

II. Here’s the basic list we made for our baby. We didn’t actually get all these things but it is a good starting point. Especially the items that are bold. Of course it really depends on factors such as income, number of baby showers, socio-economic status of those invited, socio-economic status of family, etc.

1. Furniture

A) Crib or bassinet
B) Mattress
C) Mattress pad (2) – to avoid leaks
D) Crib bedding set
E) Fitted sheets (2 to 4) – You will want to wash these

2. Baby

A) Baby CDs with classical, lullaby, or fun music – Our son particularly enjoys Kenny G. We also found that a good Scripture CD is helpful. I'll get the name of it when I get home. Lol!
B) Receiving blankets (4 to 6) – This is what the baby will be in the first few weeks of his/her life.
C) Absorbent bibs (4 to 8 ) – These are a life saver! I would say 10 actually would still not be enough

D) Booties or socks (3 to 6 pair)
E) Shirts and one-pieces (6 to 8 )
F) Bouncer seat or Swing – Some people have one or the other. We were given both.
G) Stroller – Our child is a couple of months old now it comes in handy.
H) Rear-facing car seat – Can’t leave the hospital without one. This is where we carry the little one.
I) (If needed) Car seat base for 2nd car
J) (If needed) Sling or soft carrier – We found that we don’t particularly like these. Some people do.
K) Diapers – If buying disposable diapers Amazon Mom allows you to buy diapers at a 20% discount. For boys Pampers; for girls Huggies.
L) (If needed) If cloth diapers, plastic pants and/or Velcro® covers (6 to 12)
M) Diaper bag – We registered for 1 and got 4. The more the merrier. Keep an extra with diapers/wipes in the car.
N) Diaper and accessory organizers
[b] O) Rash ointment and powder
P) Wipes (at least 2 packs at all times; don’t want to run out of these) – We prefer to buy in bulk.

Q) Washcloths (6 to 8 )
R) Gentle shampoo or body wash
S) Bathtub or contoured sponge

T) Hooded towels (2 to 4 )
U) Baby Monitor – We live in an apartment so we really haven’t used the one we got.

3. Just for Mom

A) Prenatal vitamins – One a Day is what my wife took.
B) Maternity wear (pants, comfortable shoes, etc.) – for 1st, 2nd, 3rd trimesters, as well as post-delivery; Wifey borrowed a lot of these as wow maternity clothes are so expensive!

C) Sleep pillow – Guys don’t generally like these but the ladies seem to love it. Very comfy to sleep in at night I hear.
D) Parenting magazine – helpful, my wife read these. I just went with the flow)
If Nursing:
E) Nursing bra – Cup sizes increase during pregnancy and especially if nursing.
F) Breastpump
G) Breastpads, shields, and cream
H) Lap pads (4 to 6) and burp cloths (3 to 4)

If Using Formula: (Keep in mind that not all women can nurse)

I) Formula
For Both Nursing or Formula

J) Nursing pillow and/or nursing stool
K) Bottles (6 to 8 of various sizes)

Sixth the essentials…

Bottom line you can never have enough burp cloths, diapers, and baby wipes. Remember you need a car seat to leave the hospital. Sign up for Amazon Mom and get a 20% discount on diapers in bulk and free delivery for a year.

Hope this helps. This is an exciting time and will be a great adventure!

Are there other items that you found either helpful or necessary with a baby?

A source I used was: http://christianpf.com/a-new-baby-checklist-what-youll-need/

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject: Re: A New Baby Checklist – What You’ll Need!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:02 am 

Eagle -Very nicely done!

I would just highlight item "G" above for the vast majority of folks who have "good not great" health insurance. In the current American healthcare environment, having a baby is very expensive. If you have a high deductible healthcare plan, the year of a child's birth is a great time to max-out your HSA contribution.

For reference, my second-born arrived last week and we have a $3k family deductible policy with 80/20 coinsurance. We also have a $5k out-of-pocket maximum, which we are going to hit this year.

Not to say everyone with similar coverage would incur this level of expense…our first born had some significant health expenses last spring. But, it remains that the birth of a baby is a large health care expense, even if things go perfectly.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:50 am 

Great post!

As a mom of a 1 year old I wanted to add a few things.

- Buy from local second hand stores! Most baby items (12 Months and under) are hardly used! I found brand new outfits with the original tags still attached for $2-3! Second hand toys are wonderful too! I buy toys for $0.50 to $5 that retail for $20+ each! I never buy used plush items but all other items clean up just fine.

- Consider cloth diapers! Modern cloth diapers are not your mom's cloth diapers. Check out cottonbabies.com if you or someone you know wants more info. They have a huge FAQ page and tons of great advice. My aunts pooled together money at our baby shower and bought $350 worth in cloth diapers. I spent $50 on materials to make my own cloth wipes, wet bags, & pail liners. By no means am I a seamstress. I borrowed my mom 1970s sewing machine and watched a few you tube videos. We wash our own diapers so our utilities went up $9 a month from our pre-baby days. So basically, diapering my child costs us $9 a month. Far less than what our friends pay. Check out Craigs List for people selling their used cloth diapers. You can get them for super cheap! My nay-saying family members were impressed with how easy it is to change a cloth diapers.

- Be creative on buy maternity clothes. I wore loose fitting cotton yoga pants to work for 6 months. They looked like dress pants. I have a desk job so most of the time no one sees me from the waist down. No one ever noticed. The few maternity tops I bought doubled as nursing tops.

- Buy nursing bras while pregnant. My size increased 2 cups by the time I was 12 weeks along. The bras I bought were good for two cups sizes. I will get a good two years out of the bras I bought when I am done nursing.

- Borrow stuff. Most newborn baby equipment is only useful for 3 to 4 months at which point baby will be on the move. Rockers, swings, bouncers, all come at a hefty price. Just borrow them from a friend/neighbor. Check out mom swapping boards.

- Don't fall for what the baby store considers "must haves!"
- Hooded towels are great and cute but babies grow out of them quickly. Invest in a few brand new nice and soft adult towels that will be for baby use only. They will be useful for longer.
- Diaper bags are nice but I never met a mom who loved their bag. We re-purposed a duffel bag. Husband likes to sometimes use a backpack.
- Our baby doesn't have match bedroom furniture. We bought a new crib and use my old childhood dresser, toy box, and night stand. We screwed a change pad to the top of the dresser to double as a changing table.

Good luck!

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:41 am 

Ranger wrote:
Eagle -Very nicely done!

I would just highlight item "G" above for the vast majority of folks who have "good not great" health insurance. In the current American healthcare environment, having a baby is very expensive. If you have a high deductible healthcare plan, the year of a child's birth is a great time to max-out your HSA contribution.

For reference, my second-born arrived last week and we have a $3k family deductible policy with 80/20 coinsurance. We also have a $5k out-of-pocket maximum, which we are going to hit this year.

Not to say everyone with similar coverage would incur this level of expense…our first born had some significant health expenses last spring. But, it remains that the birth of a baby is a large health care expense, even if things go perfectly.

Thanks Ranger... Congrats on your little one! Our second is due in March of this year.

Yes, the deductibles are a big thing... Ours went from 650 to 1000 this year per person. Fun stuff. Love :inlove: the new AHA ripple effects.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:55 am 

Pisces1305 wrote:
- Buy from local second hand stores! Most baby items (12 Months and under) are hardly used! I found brand new outfits with the original tags still attached for $2-3! Second hand toys are wonderful too! I buy toys for $0.50 to $5 that retail for $20+ each! I never buy used plush items but all other items clean up just fine.

This is a good suggestion! We found a really great organization that really helps facilitate exchange of baby items, maternity clothes, and toys.

It's called Just Between Friends and we love it! http://www.jbfsale.com/home.jsp

Brand new outfits go for a fraction of the price retail. Plus like you said the original tags are often still on the clothes. Lol.

We bought 2 sets of Legos for about $5 each. They would've gone for over $20 normally if purchased new.

We got a 2 seat stroller for about $100 and it reatails for about $250. We also got a nice pack n play for about $50 and it retails for about $100.

You can also often find fun, cute maternity clothes as well for a fraction of the price.

Lot's of cost savings for sure. Again, great suggestion! :clap:

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:02 am 

Pisces1305 wrote:
- Consider cloth diapers! Modern cloth diapers are not your mom's cloth diapers. Check out cottonbabies.com if you or someone you know wants more info. They have a huge FAQ page and tons of great advice. My aunts pooled together money at our baby shower and bought $350 worth in cloth diapers. I spent $50 on materials to make my own cloth wipes, wet bags, & pail liners. By no means am I a seamstress. I borrowed my mom 1970s sewing machine and watched a few you tube videos. We wash our own diapers so our utilities went up $9 a month from our pre-baby days. So basically, diapering my child costs us $9 a month. Far less than what our friends pay. Check out Craigs List for people selling their used cloth diapers. You can get them for super cheap! My nay-saying family members were impressed with how easy it is to change a cloth diapers.

We decided not to go the cloth diaper route because one of our friends kids who used cloth diapers always had a rash. Both my wife and I have sensitive skin so we decided to go with Pampers Sensitive diapers (size N through 4 ) and Pampers Baby Dry diapers (N through 6 ) for overnight 12 hour protection. Of course some may disageree but that is just what has worked for us. :)

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:19 pm 

My sister-in-law just had a baby and was considering going the cloth diaper route, until learning that local daycares will not handle them, and require parents to provide disposable diapers. Also, she did a cost analysis and determined the cost difference was negligible.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:09 am 

Eagle -
I'm jealous! A 2 seat stroller for $100! Wow, what a deal! Cloth diapers aren't for everyone. After our little one started to sleep through the night (10 hrs +/-), the thickest cloth diaper wouldn't hold. So we use disposables at night. Just a suggestion, our friends use store brand diapers (I believer Target has their own brand) and they swear they are just as good as the brand names at a fraction of the cost.

Kombat-
Thank you for mentioning that some daycares will not use cloth diapers. In our state, the daycare centers will use them but there are strict rules (apparently by law) about the type of clothes that can be used. For example, they have to be "all-in-ones" or "pocket" style diapers. So checking with your daycare provider is a must.
Some moms use disposables for daycare and cloth at home. Personally, I'm an all or nothing kind of mom. If I was using cloth on some days but not others, I would just stop using them all together.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:26 am 

Pisces1305 wrote:
- Borrow stuff. Most newborn baby equipment is only useful for 3 to 4 months at which point baby will be on the move. Rockers, swings, bouncers, all come at a hefty price. Just borrow them from a friend/neighbor. Check out mom swapping boards.

This is a good idea too. 8)

My wife has had friends lend her maternity clothes. We also have been able to borrow a basonet for both pregnancies. Someone actually gave us their a 2nd crib for the new baby.

Swings and bouncers in particular... We've lent ours out when our first little one outgrew them.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:29 am 

Pisces1305 wrote:
Eagle -
I'm jealous! A 2 seat stroller for $100! Wow, what a deal! Cloth diapers aren't for everyone. After our little one started to sleep through the night (10 hrs +/-), the thickest cloth diaper wouldn't hold. So we use disposables at night. Just a suggestion, our friends use store brand diapers (I believer Target has their own brand) and they swear they are just as good as the brand names at a fraction of the cost.

Yes, we were thrilled at the stroller deal. :rock:

Re: Store Brand diapers. Depends on the diapers... I guess since we use Amazon.com and get 20% off name brand diapers we've never considered getting store brand diapers. It might be interesting to compare the two though.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:01 am 

Here's what I found... Comparing the Amazon purchase we make for Pampers Sensitive and Baby Dry (overnight) diapers.

Amazon
Pampers Swaddlers Sensitive Diapers Size 4 Economy Pack Plus 128 Count (Like this because it has a line that shows when the baby is wet)
$35.99 ($0.28 / per) after 20% discount. Free Shipping.

Walmart
Parent's Choice Diapers Size 4 - 31 count
$5.97 ($0.19 / per)

Target
Up & Up Baby Diapers - Bulk Size 4 - 156 count
$25.00 ($0.16 / per)

I think we'll probably look into buying the Target Up & Up store brand and trying them out. 12 cents per diaper is a big savings. ;)

.... Over night
Amazon
Pampers Baby Dry Diapers Size 4 Economy Pack Plus 180 Count (we've been using these primarily for last 2 months as we ran out of Pampers Swaddlers Senstive Diapers, they can last up to 12 hours)
Current price: $37.19 ($0.21 / ) after 20% discount. Free Shipping.

Walmart
Parent's Choice Overnight Baby Diapers Size 4 - 74 count
$13.97 ($0.19 / per)

The cost for these is neglible 2 cents per... So We'll probably stick with Pampers.

Offline Profile E-mail   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill