dcsimg The Get Rich Slowly Forums • View topic - Speeches, Workshops, and a Book

GRS Home  Forum Home
Bank Rates Center
   Savings Account Rates
   Money Market Rates
   Highest CD Rates
Insurance Rates Center
  Auto           Health
   Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:36 pm

Post subject: Speeches, Workshops, and a Book
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:39 pm 

In 2010 I was approached by a friend who served on the committee for an annual Stewardship conference (the Leaven Conference) for the catholic diocese in my part of the world. The theme that year was economic social justice.

I was invited to speak because my friend heard that I had been working on a book to help people learn about how consumer advertising worked and how to deal with such advertising (workshop title - "An Unjust Trap of Wants and Needs").

The workshop was overwhelmingly positive and some other speaking requests resulted, which I mostly declined as I wanted to finish the book before giving more talks. And while I've received some nice compliments from PhD's and other well educated professionals, the experience led me to make the book readable by the average worker, younger consumers, and perhaps those that may seek help from charity groups.

Now that the book is close to becoming available in print (the ebooks were first), I'm ready to visit with those groups that called in late 2010/early 2011 as well as reach out to others. The lessons in the book and workshop seem to help people's eyes open to how they are being sold - not just consumer products but also worldviews and political messages.

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject: Re: Speeches, Workshops, and a Book
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:53 am 

dontgopoor wrote:
The lessons in the book and workshop seem to help people's eyes open to how they are being sold - not just consumer products but also worldviews and political messages.

... and religion, too, I hope?

Offline Profile   
 Post subject: Re: Speeches, Workshops, and a Book
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:37 pm 

Yes, "some religion" and in a very, I hope, winsome way. I've had comments from pre-readers who were not strongly faithful say that they did not see religion in the book and I've had some extremely faithful say that they thought the book "profoundly religious".

Offline Profile E-mail   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill, Fiscal Fitness Moderator