Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:25 am

Post subject: Financial Empowerment Course
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:28 am 

Two years in a row, I have given a financial empowerment course for free with materials I created myself. I am still digging out of debt - but this is something that is fun/scary for me and helps make my own journey more exciting.

I may do this again in the summer. The course is four class sessions long - with each class lasting about an hour. I make people do homework, so the people that actually make it through the four class commitment are truly excited about working to better their financial positions. It is mostly geared to people in debt -- but can be helpful to those just starting out because we cover what is good to look for in a bank :)

I love that I can do this for free. It helps me get better at the course and its design, and I think a lot of times people in debt are getting ripped off with enough of their money. The more I do this, I may ask for a $5 material fee at the first class, but so far I think I have only had about 10 people start the class (and about 6 finish it) - so it has been very minimal outflow for me -- just time (which I really don't have a ton of free time but it also helps me get out of my comfort zone as I have a great fear of public speaking).

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject: Re: Financial Empowerment Course
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:17 pm 

Good for you! More people need to learn even the basics of financial management.

When you're providing a valuable course for people, you're not "ripping people off" by charging for your services. Have some great sessions this summer!

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:27 pm 

JennGlidden wrote:
When you're providing a valuable course for people, you're not "ripping people off" by charging for your services.

When I go to work I provide services that are valuable to others in exchange for money. So I don't believe that charging for services in inherently evil. But when it comes to basic financial advice, I believe the truly valuable lessons are out there for anyone to obtain for free. Charging people for that then becomes a rip off.

This forum is free as are others like it. There are plenty of places that will teach people the key lessons - reduce fees, reduce interest, and start young. I don't see how charging someone for that basic information helps them.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:47 pm 

I definitely do not think there is anything wrong with charging for a class that is extremely useful to attendees. People pay thousands of dollars for education all the time. As you get a larger audience and improve your material, it's definitely something to consider.

Offline Profile E-mail   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ]  Moderators: kombat, bpgui, JerichoHill, Fiscal Fitness Moderator