PF blog roll call...

Saving & investing, frugality & simple living. They're all part of the wealth equation.
Here's the place to discuss getting (and keeping!) your money.

Moderator: lvergon

LMoot

PF blog roll call...

Postby LMoot » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:53 am

...since the GRS handlers don't seem to give two figs f*ing about their website. What blogs/websites devoted to frugal living, investing, early or alternative retirement, lifestyle enrichment, are you reading, or would like to read?

DJFlare99

Re: PF blog roll call...

Postby DJFlare99 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:44 pm

I'm a regular on Fatwallet finance forums, Mr Money Mustache, and Bigger Pockets. I sometimes go on Bogleheads.
Just got notice that Fatwallet is shutting down. That's too bad, I got a lot of good advice from there. Like how to negotiate for a car or the best place to get HELOC.

jdmartin

Postby jdmartin » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:01 pm

I like Mr. Money Mustache, although some of the people on it are too self-righteous for my taste. I go to Bogleheads sometimes. I spend a lot of time on Bigger Pockets, where I'm a frequent forum contributor (and occasional podcast guest!). But I have a big interest in real estate, so that one is natural. GRS is dying - maybe already dead? - I go to Bogleheads sometimes as well; I have Vanguard accounts so that kind of makes sense.
"Money is better than poverty, for financial reasons" - Woody Allen

DJFlare99

Postby DJFlare99 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:34 pm

jdmartin wrote:I like Mr. Money Mustache, although some of the people on it are too self-righteous for my taste.

That's my feeling as well. Probably, the vast majority on MMM actually doesn't ascribe to the same beliefs, of "spend less and less".
I actually believe in spending more over time. I do believe in money buys convenience and comfort. Not in excess of course. My goal is to slowly increase my standard of living over time with delayed gratification.

I would say this forum is dead. However, it's still functional, which is why I still do check it periodically. I like the small private group feel as opposed as to the large forum feel.

LMoot

Postby LMoot » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:25 am

Fatwallet is shutting down? Oh no. I had forgotten about it, and never really got to explore it until you just mentioned it. Wow, it's been going on forever. I am on Bigger Pockets too, and I listen to the podcast from time to time, SO COOL you get to be on it jdmartin!

Honestly I don't go on Bigger Pockets unless I have a specific RE question, because it depresses me somewhat. It reminds me how much I have to learn, and is just a reminder that as the property values are skyrocketing in my area, my dream of investing in RE is slipping from my fingers. I still will, it just won't me the mega success I tricked myself into believing it would be...at least not as quickly as I thought. I graduated in 2008, and bought my house in 2009, and even though intellectually I knew the prices were atypical, my naivete and limited experience had me believing I would have time before the market rebounded, to still take advantage. If I could go back and do it again, I would have only done the cheapest and most necessary reno on my own house, and saved the money towards a 2nd property. If only....

Regarding MMM....I have a love-hate. Yes there is a lot of activity...but almost too much. Interesting comments get buried (no, not referring to my own lol) under the squabling amongst the regulars. Plus they talk alot about earning alot of money and throwing it into mutual funds and act as if that is the only path to a successful retirement, and anyone that offers a different option pretty much gets shot down, or "face punched". I do like the frugality message they focus on, and have learned alot of about sustainability options and just being happy in a frugal lifestyle (which I already knew, but it's nice to get reinforcement from folks who could easily afford to not live frugally, but choose to).

DJFlare: "I actually believe in spending more over time. I do believe in money buys convenience and comfort. Not in excess of course. My goal is to slowly increase my standard of living over time with delayed gratification"

That's my view. I don't want to live a life of constant deprivation, so I can end with a big bang. There's not guarantee you'll be around for the *bang*. I never liked the idea of having a clear demarcation between pre retirement and post retirement. I want to get validation along the way, that I am moving towards my ideal life. You hear about these people who deprive themselves until it becomes a lifestyle, a habit...then they either don't know when to stop, or when they do stop, they get anxiety about spending, or haven't practiced their dreams enough to know whether it is still a dream or not, or even what it is they want to do/buy, now that they're free.

jdmartin

Postby jdmartin » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:08 pm

It's definitely no fun saving everything to the end. If you understand your motivation for spending money and know what *really* makes you happy, you can usually find a way to have a good life with all that included. Where people run into trouble is buying into this "You can have it all" mentality, which is total bullshit. Not even the rich can have it all. Everything in life is a trade off. If you spend all your time goofing off on Facebook, you will have free time but no money. If you spend all your time working you will have money but no leisure. If you spend all your time playing golf you won't be home with your kids. ETC. If you spend all your money on dumb crap that you don't value, you won't have any for the things you do value.

DaveInPgh

Postby DaveInPgh » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:20 am

jdmartin wrote:I like Mr. Money Mustache, although some of the people on it are too self-righteous for my taste. I go to Bogleheads sometimes. I spend a lot of time on Bigger Pockets, where I'm a frequent forum contributor (and occasional podcast guest!). But I have a big interest in real estate, so that one is natural. GRS is dying - maybe already dead? - I go to Bogleheads sometimes as well; I have Vanguard accounts so that kind of makes sense.

I knew your username was familiar to me. I used to spend a lot of time on Bigger Pockets reading about real estate investing. Something I have always been passionate about trying, but sadly my wife is not on board with the idea.

jdmartin

Postby jdmartin » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:35 pm

DaveInPgh wrote:
jdmartin wrote:I like Mr. Money Mustache, although some of the people on it are too self-righteous for my taste. I go to Bogleheads sometimes. I spend a lot of time on Bigger Pockets, where I'm a frequent forum contributor (and occasional podcast guest!). But I have a big interest in real estate, so that one is natural. GRS is dying - maybe already dead? - I go to Bogleheads sometimes as well; I have Vanguard accounts so that kind of makes sense.

I knew your username was familiar to me. I used to spend a lot of time on Bigger Pockets reading about real estate investing. Something I have always been passionate about trying, but sadly my wife is not on board with the idea.

Yeah, that's probably me! That's a tough spot when you can't get buy in both ways. It might be helpful if you can start with one small, successful project and show her how much money it made. On the other hand, if you have enough money/credit on your own you don't have to have your wife sign on.

DJFlare99

Postby DJFlare99 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:06 pm

jdmartin wrote:On the other hand, if you have enough money/credit on your own you don't have to have your wife sign on.

What are you talking about? You ALWAYS need to have your wife's sign on.

jdmartin

Postby jdmartin » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:43 am

^^Really? Gee, I guess my last couple of closings better get redone then - everything is in my name and my signature only. Hmm.

DJFlare99

Postby DJFlare99 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:44 pm

No, I'm not talking about that your wife actually needs to sign. What I'm saying I personally wouldn't ever tell someone "forget the wife, do it yourself". Happy wife happy life!

jdmartin

Postby jdmartin » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:33 am

DJFlare99 wrote:No, I'm not talking about that your wife actually needs to sign. What I'm saying I personally wouldn't ever tell someone "forget the wife, do it yourself". Happy wife happy life!

Ah!! I get it :D How come we don't have any "happy husband" rhymes? :rofl:

You are right, generally it's a bad idea to go it alone, but I do know a couple of people who have it set up that way. The wife has no interest whatsoever in real estate and doesn't care, so long as there's money in the bank account, all the bills are paid and they can shop and go on vacation. Don't know anyone where it is the opposite (wife wants RE, husband doesn't have interest) though I'm sure there's plenty of that as well - I see women asking many times how to get their husband interested, who only wants to work his 9-5, come home and eat Cheetos. :P

Return to “Personal Finance”