IRA & Tax return nightmare

Saving & investing, frugality & simple living. They're all part of the wealth equation.
Here's the place to discuss getting (and keeping!) your money.

Moderator: lvergon

probargainhunter

IRA & Tax return nightmare

Postby probargainhunter » Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:25 pm

Sent in a check for my wife's 2006 IRA on 4/9
Today is the tax deadline, but there is no sign the mutual fund management received it

Sending another check today and filing my return.
Will be calling the mutual fund and as soon they receive one check, will put a stop payment on the other one.

The conclusion -- DO YOU TAXES EARLY!!!

jdroth
Site Admin

Postby jdroth » Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:23 pm

Ouch, Yan!

Sometimes checks "lost in the mail" can be so frustrating. I've had bad luck mailing mortgage checks, for example. Our old mortgage company for our previous house was notorious for "never receiving" their checks. It used to make me livid.

One of my goals is to get all of my bill-paying set up online. In fact, I should ask a question about that here in the forums.

nickel

Postby nickel » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:09 pm

I realize that this doesn't help right now, but we always fund our Vanguard IRAs electronically.

tinyhands

Postby tinyhands » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:21 pm

Since all of my banking, saving, and investing is done online, all of my bills are paid electronically. I have paper checks, but they're a last resort. I don't schedule any of my payments to recur automatically, I go online a couple times a month and schedule them individually for one-time only payments. This way I periodically check the status of payments and can also see if I should be expecting a bill in the mail soon (based on the date of last month's payment).

MossySF

Postby MossySF » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:40 pm

nickel wrote:I realize that this doesn't help right now, but we always fund our Vanguard IRAs electronically.

I have Vanguard's "maximize" contribution option enabled for my wife's IRA. Whatever the IRS max limit is, it'll auto split your available left for the year over the number of remaining contribution periods. So if you had turned on 01/01/07, it would have auto withdrawn 333.33 or 333.34 from your account every month. And then autostep up to 416.66/416.67 for 2008 ($5K limit).

One option that would have been possible for those w/o electronic avenues is to go to a bank and open an IRA CD for 3 months and then have your fund company/brokerage roll it over upon maturity.

Return to “Personal Finance”