Members-only finance/investment websites

Saving & investing, frugality & simple living. They're all part of the wealth equation.
Here's the place to discuss getting (and keeping!) your money.

Moderator: lvergon

mbhunter

Members-only finance/investment websites

Postby mbhunter » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:07 pm

This isn't an affiliate link but I joined Gary North's Specific Answers:

http://www.garynorth.com

I think very highly of what Dr. North has to say. The members-only website is billed as a mutual support group for contrarians.

Are there any other sites that you've joined like this?

jdroth
Site Admin

Postby jdroth » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:37 pm

Interesting. I've seen some sites like this, but have never joined any. I'd be curious to know what this is like. Also -- what <i>exactly</i> sets a contrarian apart from a value investor? In my mind, a value investor simply looks for cheap stocks no matter what the market sector, no matter what the economic conditions. But a contrarian actively seeks out investments that are "in the doghouse" at the moment. Is this correct?

mbhunter

Postby mbhunter » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:11 pm

I subscribed there (a) because I've read his free newsletter (Reality Check) for a while and really enjoy it, and (b) he was raising his price at the end of the month.

I think it's more than just investing in what everyone else isn't. It's also about 180 degree thinking on career, lifestyle, etc. It's getting away from the MSM and finding unconventional sources of information. Not just kooks, but people who are successful doing something that is the opposite of what one typically hears.

Return to “Personal Finance”