dcsimg The Get Rich Slowly Forums • View topic - collection agency screwed me over

GRS Home  Forum Home
Bank Rates Center
   Savings Account Rates
   Money Market Rates
   Highest CD Rates
Insurance Rates Center
  Auto           Health
   Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:52 am

Post subject: collection agency screwed me over
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:08 pm 

I think I seriously got screwed over. Here is what happened:

two years ago I signed up for a crappy VOIP service. I used it for a couple of days and decided i did not need it anymore. I ended up paying for their service for a couple of months until my credit card expired. However, they kept charging me for another year. I eventually got a call from the VOIP company to pay but I refused to pay. After a year, a collection agency sent me a letter that I had to pay for the collection in the next 30 days or they will report me. I have outstanding credit and I paid right away to prevent my credit score from dropping.

Today, I got my credit report and the collection agency contacted the credit agencys even though I paid the balance within 30 days. My score dropped from 720 to 620!! I want to apply for a mortgage but with this score I will get crap.

This is what shows up in my credit report. It looks like that they filed this 7 months ago. I have NEVER received anything from these guys until 4 weeks ago. As soon as I heard that they will send it to a collection agency I paid it.

Quote:
Your most recent collection account or negative public record is 7 months old.
Reference Number Institution Date Filed or First Reported Comment Date Last Reported
725**** SKO BREN AM 09/2006 Collection account. 03/2007

Is this legal what they are doing? Btw this is their url: http://www.skobrenner.com. If I have to take them to small claims court I will take them.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:38 pm 

Check out the following links. Basically, you have the right to challenge any incorrect information on your credit report.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_Credit_Reporting_Act
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_does_the_Fair_Credit_Reporting_Act_protect_the_rights_of_the_consumer

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:17 am 

thanks for the links. I did use the 1800 number of the FTC to get some advice. Their customer service is actually pretty good.

I ended up talking to the collection agency and they said that they never received payment from me. However, I was able to fax him proof of payment dated 4 weeks ago. He said that they did an error on their end and that they will get on it to fix it.

I believe it when I see it though. We shall see.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:37 am 

It's worth a few minutes to go ahead and dispute it through the credit agency as well. I haven't seen the other two, but with Experian it's as easy as a couple of mouseclicks. I suspect it's in your best interest to show that you disputed it, not just that they "fixed" it, which may or may not repair your credit score.

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:55 pm 

There's probably a useful lesson here as well, though.

It's important to explicitly cancel service, rather than hoping that they'll just go away when your credit card expires.

Sam

Offline Profile