The "Treat Yourself" Syndrome

Saving & investing, frugality & simple living. They're all part of the wealth equation.
Here's the place to discuss getting (and keeping!) your money.

Moderator: lvergon

tehnyit

Postby tehnyit » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:39 am

I apologise for offending anyone, but I am currently reading "No Asshole Rules", the author describe a phenomenon where if we get a reminder of something bad or undesirable, we tend not to do it ourselves. He calls it "One Asshole Rule".

Let me give you an example, if we occasionally had a bad or undesirable experience that reminds us of what we should NOT be, then we are more likely NOT to repeat the event.

I generally view "treating myself" as undesirable event because it doesn't promote savings. I should actively remind myself that I shouldn't treat myself that often, and perhaps reap the rewards with the money I have saved. That sounds like I am contradicting myself, oh well more food for thought.....

pf101

Postby pf101 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:34 am

I think something to bear in mind is that treats don't have to cost money. It can be a treat to go sit in the park and read for an hour... Or go browse a book store and read there (leave the money at home). Or pack a picnic for dinner instead of eating at home. Or allow yourself one full, guilt-free day in bed. Treats are different things to different people and they don't all have to be expensive.

jgs9455

Postby jgs9455 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:23 am

Again, I agree with pf101!

For me the best free rewards come from knowing I am digging out of a debt hole (and never going back), feeling good about getting ahead financially, the security of a emergency fund, having money to act on opportunities when/if they arise, freedom from living paycheck to paycheck, looking forward to a comfortable retirement (one day), eventually buying my 1st house, and increasing my income through investing without having to ask for a raise!!

MossySF

Postby MossySF » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:25 am

My brain values accomplishments more than possessions so the only way I can treat myself is to start a new project / goal and hit the target.

Return to “Personal Finance”