dcsimg The Get Rich Slowly Forums • View topic - Educational Tax credit & Tax free education savings

GRS Home  Forum Home
Bank Rates Center
   Savings Account Rates
   Money Market Rates
   Highest CD Rates
Insurance Rates Center
  Auto           Health
   Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:10 am

Post subject: Educational Tax credit & Tax free education savings
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:49 am 

Thank you all for the great wealth of information at getrichslowly...

I recently got to know about 529 college savings account and have a couple of questions about it.

I am a resident of New Jersey and my sister is a resident of Minnesota where she goes to school . I actually pay for her tuition and other expenses for the year and was wondering if I could open a 529 college savings account for her . The total amount i expect to pay for her in 2007 is about 7k . Out of this I have already paid 3k.(Can I make a contribution to the 529 college savings account for the 3 K I have already paid this year)

are contributions also tax free in a 529 or is it the income on contribution only that is tax free

I also plan to claim her as a dependent on my tax return
When I claim her as a Dependant, how much tax break do I get ? What are the criteria of claiming her as a Dependant. I was told she can not make above a specific amount for that to happen. She currently makes about 5 K a year. Is that too much for me to claim her as a Dependant ?

I myself plan to go back to school for an MBA in fall 2008 and therefore want to start collecting on some tax free money which will prove to be a great resource of money when I go back to school.

What is the best way to save a 529 or some other account. I know the earnings are tax free on a 529. Is there any account where I could put away money for school before paying taxes ? It would be nice if i could find something where both my contributions and income on them could be tax free !

Thanks All
-mobajwa

Offline Profile   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:07 am 

You do not get a federal tax income deduction for making a 529 contribution. A few states will give you a state tax deduction but New Jersey is not one of these states. Hence, the idea of funding a 529 to immediately be used for somebody already in college is a nonstarter. 529s make the growth on your contribution non-taxable when used for college costs but with timeframes this short, unless it's a huge sum of money involved, it may not be worth the effort. You may be able to get higher tax equivalent yields than CDs/money markets available in 529 plans net plan costs. Hard to say unless every 529 plan is evaluated for the CD & MMF yields.

As for claiming as dependent, all I see in the tax code is < 19 or < 24 in school fulltime. She will still have to file her own taxes and mark the appropriate checkbox so she doesn't claim herself as a dependent also. Edit: < 24 + fulltime school + you pay for 50%+ of her expenses.

Offline Profile