dcsimg The Get Rich Slowly Forums • View topic - How long does it take the IRS to cash a check?

GRS Home  Forum Home
Bank Rates Center
   Savings Account Rates
   Money Market Rates
   Highest CD Rates
Insurance Rates Center
  Auto           Health
   Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:48 pm

Post subject: How long does it take the IRS to cash a check?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:54 am 

I sent off a check to the IRS about a week ago and it still hasn't been cashed. Anyone know about how long it takes for them to do this? I'm getting very nervous, considering the IRS's asinine suggestion for everyone to write their SSN on their checks. I fear that the check has been intercepted, which puts me at a huge risk of ID theft (once someone's got your SSN, you're in big trouble). Someone please tell me I'm being paranoid.

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject: Re: How long does it take the IRS to cash a check?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:05 am 

I have no idea how long it takes the IRS to cash a cheque, but I definitely would not be worried after only a week. It takes time for the letter to get there (particularly during the holiday season), it takes time for it to move through the system, and it takes time for it to be reflected in your online banking or bank account statement.

I wouldn't even start to sweat until at least 2 weeks. I wouldn't bother making any phone calls until after a month.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:22 am 

Thanks Kombat, I appreciate your response. 2010 was a terrible tax year for me... I've had to go back and forth with the IRS many times about my return, each time owing hundreds of dollars more and, of course, incurring additional fees and interest :@

I just want this ridiculous saga to be over, and worrying about getting my ID stolen as well is just too much.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:13 am 

Yep, no worries after only a week. And I wouldn't be so paranoid about the SSN either. The truth is you MUST give it out very frequently. People are paranoid about identity theft, and maybe they should be, but it takes a whole lot more than having your SSN to do any real damage.

I'm not sure why you sent the IRS a check. When I pay my estimated payments the check usually clears in about 5 days. Things might be slower this time of year though.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:40 am 

My experience is it has taken usually 2-3 weeks for the whole process to go through, and I usually mail my checks to the IRS around April 15.

I'd give it a month.

You can also call and verify that your information was received but they may not have processed it.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:23 am 

Tax situation for 2010 should be all wrapped up.

It only took one visit to the IRS building in downtown Boston, 4 checks, 5 notices from the IRS, 6 calls to their hotline (~240 minutes on hold), and hundreds of dollars in penalties and interest :puke:

Definitely going to have a professional prepare my taxes for 2011.

Offline Profile E-mail