Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:37 am

Post subject: any good budgeting software out there?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:49 pm 

In the spirit of newfound frugality: Free would be best but cheap is good enough. :)
I would love a program that I can import bank statements in, budget, possibly export data to Turbotax. I am self employed, dba myself, not too complicated. I have quicken '05 but most links to financial institutions are broken and no way to update the version I have (it's for pre-Intel Mac)

Thanks in advance

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject: Re: any good budgeting software out there?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:01 pm 

I recently switched from Quicken (I've used both the Windows and Mac versions since 1994) to You Need a Budget (YNAB) and am really happy with it. However, there are a few things you'd need to know right off the bat:

1. There is no direct connection to banks like there is in Quicken. Personally I consider this a good thing, because that's how Intuit forces you to upgrade every couple of years to a newer version of Quicken. YNAB does you to download QIF files from your bank and import them if you like working that way. But it doesn't connect directly like Quicken does.

2. You can export your YNAB data into a format that Turbo Tax can import, but I doubt the import is likely to be as seamless as with Quicken. I've never tried it (I don't use tax software), so this is just a guess.

3. While YNAB has registers for your accounts and keeps track of your income and expenses just like Quicken does, that's not its main focus. The main focus is on your budget -- your accounts effectively represent a pool of money available for budgeting, and you assign jobs to all the dollars in your accounts. YNAB has only two categories for income: income for this month and income for next month. With Quicken I had five or six different income categories and had to change that for YNAB.

However, if you're truly looking for good budgeting software, I think YNAB is the best thing going. It also has excellent support and tutorials online, even online classes, and once you get your head around the system it's actually pretty easy to use.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:07 pm 

mint.com

it's free and does more than Quicken. the only thing it lacks is a check register but it is able to do more tracking investments/credit/mortgage than Quicken.

I HIGHLY recommend it.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:28 pm 

I second mint, it's simple, easy, and has a pretty nice app for your phone (atleast android.) It may not do everything in the world (it doesn't offer alot in messing with projecting numbers, but does over a "goal" tab.)

But it works with a large number of accounts these days (it worked with my companies 401k portal (its not a generic portal/plan), was even listed, was shocked as hell.)

I also use a spreadsheet personally for a few other things, however, its a nice place to see all your accounts easily, its read only, just as secure (if not more so) then your banks, and if for some reason your account ever gets breached, since its read only, they cant do anything with the info. They will just know how much you have where (note, this is very unlikely.)

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:07 am 

microsoft makes 2 programs which are applicable, one is called excel, the other access. Both are relatively cheap and I imagine almost everyone has at least excel on their computer. Most Credit cards and banks download straight to excel.

"If you only have 1 year to live, move to Penn...as it will seem like an eternity."

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:01 pm 

Bichon Frise wrote:
microsoft makes 2 programs which are applicable, one is called excel, the other access. Both are relatively cheap and I imagine almost everyone has at least excel on their computer. Most Credit cards and banks download straight to excel.

Or you could use google documents (or drive or whatever they call it nowadays).

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:04 pm 

stannius wrote:
Bichon Frise wrote:

Or you could use google documents (or drive or whatever they call it nowadays).

Or if you prefer that your documents remain offline, LibreOffice is good substitute for MS Office, if you don't mind going back to something similar to the 2003 version of MS Office 2003.

Online Profile   
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:47 am 

I use a little/simple excel file that you can download for free by Googling "pear budget excel." Not what you wanted but just putting that out there for anyone reading the forums.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:46 am 

I only use Microsoft Excel for budgeting but will definitely try those software mentioned if its a good thing to use. Thank you

Offline Profile E-mail