dcsimg The Get Rich Slowly Forums • View topic - bust mortgage bank lowered my score. Advice?

GRS Home  Forum Home
Bank Rates Center
   Savings Account Rates
   Money Market Rates
   Highest CD Rates
Insurance Rates Center
  Auto           Health
   Life              Home
Mortgage Rates Center
  Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:20 pm

Post subject: bust mortgage bank lowered my score. Advice?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:19 pm 

Equifax FICO score 682
One year ago was 780. The one and only bad thing is ten months of late payments on my mortgage to a bank that doesn't exist anymore.
I was left behind in payments last September/ October after which the bank would not allow me to make any payments other than full owed amount (3 X monthly in Nov, 4 X monthly in Dec. etc.) Finally the bank went under, sold my mortgage to NewBank. NewBank approved my HEMP application. Everything back on track. Is there any way to rectify my credit directly with the scoring agencies since the reporting creditor no longer exists?

Offline Profile E-mail   
 Post subject: Re: bust mortgage bank lowered my score. Advice?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:21 pm 

Boyer wrote:
Equifax FICO score 682
One year ago was 780. The one and only bad thing is ten months of late payments on my mortgage to a bank that doesn't exist anymore.
I was left behind in payments last September/ October after which the bank would not allow me to make any payments other than full owed amount (3 X monthly in Nov, 4 X monthly in Dec. etc.) Finally the bank went under, sold my mortgage to NewBank. NewBank approved my HEMP application. Everything back on track. Is there any way to rectify my credit directly with the scoring agencies since the reporting creditor no longer exists?

Doubtful. The credit bureaus are only reporting what they are given. Old creditor is defunct, new creditor probably won't have much sympathy.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:42 pm 

You could dispute the entry on your credit report. You might get away with it, if nobody's there or they're too distracted to reaffirm your legitimately poor record of paying on time.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:36 am 

I'll do that (dispute.) I'll let you know how it goes. Anyone ever done a dispute? Should I go into the complicated details or should I just say "I don't know these people."?

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:49 am 

Boyer wrote:
I'll do that (dispute.) I'll let you know how it goes. Anyone ever done a dispute? Should I go into the complicated details or should I just say "I don't know these people."?

If you lie by saying you dont know them it will get you in much more serious trouble. Telling the truth and accepting responsibility for your own behavior is always best.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:16 am 

Boyer wrote:

The bureaus will only flag it as a dispute. You have to go to the creditor submitting your payment history in order for it to have any effect.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:19 am 

DoingHomework wrote:
Boyer wrote:

If you lie by saying you dont know them it will get you in much more serious trouble. Telling the truth and accepting responsibility for your own behavior is always best.

I agree. Boyer needs to put on the big boy/big girl pants & deal with it.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:35 pm 

Agreed. I don't like to lie either. I just thought to make some office staff's job easier.
I'm moral and fair to a fault but, after all I've been through with my mortgage bank, I don't think I owe them any fair play.
The details are pretty complicated and that's because the creditor lied (or, at best, was careless in its reporting.) I can't go back to the creditor to correct the problem as the creditor went under/ does not exist anymore (not a surprise to me, I've been dealing with them for over a year.)
Here's the (complicated) situation: I fell behind with two mortgage payments (Sept & Oct of 2011) I contacted the mortgage co. In Nov and scheduled a payment for those two months. Come end of Nov that payment was never withdrawn from my account. I called them the day after the payment was scheduled to go out and they told me the person who scheduled my payment was in error/ not authorized to do so ( :?: ) and that they can't accept payment for September /October, I would have to pay the November mortgage as well. I applied for the HAMP and checked with them monthly to see what if anything I can pay. They went under and sold my loan to a new bank. It took the new bank 30 days to approve me for HAMP and now my payments are current. No past due payments.
While the old bank would only accept full up to date payment they did report each payment as a separate delinquency so, now, my report has a 30 day past due+a60 day past due+ a 90 day past due+....+10 months past due payment.
See? Complicated. If anyone understands all this and has a better idea how to deal with it, please let me know.
Thanks
P.S. the original bank disqualified me from HAMP saying my income is too low. They also "reassured" me that's not a problem (heh, not for them.) Since I owe only 60% of the value of my house. They would be happy to take it off my hands. That is what they said!!!
This is what I assume: Should I have over-borrowed and owed 250% of value they would have bent over backwards to adjust my payments. HIghway robbers! If I could do anything to drown them, rest assured I would.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:58 pm 

I don't think I'm understanding.
If you are now caught up in your payments, and not planning on buying a new car or house soon, does it matter that these "red marks" are on your credit? Just turn a new leaf and continue to pay your mortgage as scheduled.

Life is too short to worry about who wronged you in the past. Keep it movin'.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:14 am 

What is the name and state of the mortgage company? I will research it a bit.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:52 am 

Aurora Bank FSB
2617 College Park
Scottsbluff, NE 69361
United States
Last known address. Let me know if you find anything on them.

Peachy: it's not all peachy. I grew up in a communist country (Romania). That's what they :devil: expected us to do too. Lower your head swallow hard, start from the beginning. I got my equifax report, waiting on the other two, least I can do is try.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:30 am 

Boyer,

You loan SERVICING was likely transferred to Nationstar. Any allegation about errors made by Aurora will be referred to them most likely. However, Aurora still exists as a part of New York Community Bank.

You might be able to get some help from https://independentforeclosurereview.com/ depending on the details of exactly what happened with your loan and when. I suspect though that they will not be able to help you.

You can also attempt to contact the FTC if you believe they violated your promissory note. Be prepared to state exactly which clause they violated.

But the fact remains that you were behind so reporting that fact was not an error. I suspect the best thing to do is stay current and put the experience behind you. Servicers can set reasonable policies and it could be entirely reasonable to require you to become completely paid up before accepting partial payments.

I might also suggest you build up an emergency fund of at least several months expenses so that this does not happen again.

Good luck

Offline Profile E-mail