Mortgage Rates
  Mortgage Quotes

Last visit was:
A place for Get Rich Slowly readers to ask questions
and exchange ideas
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:19 pm

Post subject: Re: web and phone services
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:46 pm 

Drop cable. Keep Internet (and maybe upgrade it). Get hulu or netflix and a roku box. Get a pre-paid cell phone plan from T-Mobile or Virgin Mobile or some other pre-paid cell phone company. My Virgin Mobile plan is $35 per month. And that's for a smart phone and it includes data. You can get even cheaper plans if you just want voice.

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:20 am 

Oh, too bad I didn't know about Obi, that sounds even better. Right now, what we have is 2 cell phones (straight talk, so about $32 a month for me for 1K minutes plus texts, and $44 for husband (unlimited talk and text). And we have internet and home phone via frontier, for $78 a month (slow internet speed, who knows what kind of phone plan because they tell me something different each time I call). So I believe about $30 of that $78 is home phone. Getting the ooma will, hopefully after that 5 month payoff period, make that $30 go away so our internet should be around $35-40 a month. So we'll see. If we pay more like $40-45 a month we can go to cable and it would be 5x faster internet connection so that may be something we would consider.
I would skip the home phone entirely, just lots of places have that home phone number and we are supposed to be able to port that number to ooma. And sometimes my family can be talkative, so if I know I'll be on the phone for awhile I'd prefer to use the home phone.
We also pay for Netflix ($17 a month).

Offline Profile E-mail   
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:09 am 

What I did was:
  • Went to AT&T store, got them to port my home number into a prepaid cell. IIRC this cost $25.
  • Then I signed up for Google Voice, and requested a port of the number. GV would only port a cell # which is why I had step 1.

Once the # is in google voice, you can have it point at the Obi, or you can have it ring on your cell phone. So it's a way to keep your land line # without having to keep your land line.

Google seems to promise free Voice service only one year at a time. So there is some risk they might start charging or discontinue the service at some point in the future.

Offline Profile   
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:02 am 

Just to give people an update, we still have the monthly cell phones straight talk, which I think now is $49 for unlimited talk and texts and $33 for 1K minutes including texts. We got ooma ($130 upfront fee) for home phone that has a $4.33 fee each month. We have internet via frontier, for $39.99 a month.
So since we started in late Nov the Ooma is paid for itself and our phone/internet bills are $34 a month less.
We never had cable (well we did over 10 years ago). We do pay for Netflix ($17 a month).
I'd like to get our cell phone costs down, but not sure how.

Offline Profile E-mail   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Moderators: bpgui, JerichoHill Go to page Previous  1, 2