Opening a RothIRA but not sure what to invest in

Saving & investing, frugality & simple living. They're all part of the wealth equation.
Here's the place to discuss getting (and keeping!) your money.

Moderator: lvergon

eddienj31

Opening a RothIRA but not sure what to invest in

Postby eddienj31 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:59 pm

New member here.

I'm 33yrs old & I have a 401k through my job already w/ 3% match for a total of 13% before tax. I have a vanguard target retirement fund & company stock.

I plan on opening a Fidelity roth ira account w/ 2k & $250 a month on top. Since my 401k is through fidelity also I figured it would be easier to have them all under one roof. I'm just not sure what to invest in, I have asked many coworkers & friends but everybody seemed very vague about what to do, but they all talk about how good they are picking investments.

My question to you guys, based on what I posted what would your advice be on what to invest in. I dont mind taking on risk for a good return.

Thank you in advance,
Eddie

DoingHomework

Re: Opening a RothIRA but not sure what to invest in

Postby DoingHomework » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:10 pm

My suggestion would be a low cost stock index fund. Vanguard Total Stock Market would be my first choice but I suspect Fidelity has one that is about the same. Just make sure the expense ratio is very low (0.5% or less) and definitely no load.

eddienj31

Re: Opening a RothIRA but not sure what to invest in

Postby eddienj31 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:44 am

Thank you, I have started my research on low cost stock index fund & you were right on the money. I look foward to opening my account this weekend.

Eddie

Return to “Personal Finance”